Simple Make-Ahead Biscuits Recipe
Make-Ahead Frozen Biscuit Recipe
Make-ahead biscuits – what a wonderful idea! Make a bunch of biscuits when you have some time, freeze them, then simply pop them in the oven when you want fresh homemade biscuits. Love it! And yes, they taste wonderful too!
The biscuits taste exactly how I expect and want biscuits to taste – tender, flaky, buttery. Even though they don’t have butter in them. They remind of the biscuits from KFC. 😉
Make-ahead biscuits are great for a quick snack on their own, or customize them however you’d like. Use them to make a really tasty breakfast sandwich, serve with chili, or to make biscuits and sausage gravy! I love fresh, warm biscuits with butter and a drizzle of honey. Jam is great on them too. So many possibilities!
The recipe is written correctly – 6 cups flour and 4 ½ cups heavy cream! Heavy cream provides rich butterfat that gives the biscuits tenderness and flavor, as well as moisture from its water content.
This recipe calls for minimal mixing, to reduce the risk of too much gluten development.
If you want your biscuits to rise properly when baking, it helps to cut them out with a sharp edge. A biscuit cutter, cookie-cutter, or sharp knife are some possible options. Also, when baking powder is too old, the biscuits won’t rise as they should.
How Long In Advance Can I Make These Biscuits?
You can freeze them for about 1-month (find instructions for freezing in the biscuit recipe below).
How to Cook Frozen Biscuits
Cooking your biscuits from frozen is super easy. You don’t even have to thaw them! Simply preheat your oven to 450, place the frozen biscuits on a lined baking sheet (about 2 inches apart) and bake one sheet at a time for about 20-25 minutes (until puffed and golden brown).
Yield, cooking time, and nutrition facts may vary depending on the thickness of your biscuits. I usually get 39 biscuits with this recipe, but if your biscuits are thicker or thinner, you get fewer or more of them. Thinner biscuits will bake faster, so keep an eye on them!
More Biscuit Recipes:
- Pumpkin Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- Easy Cheesy Bacon Biscuits
- Simple Homemade Biscuits
- Walk Away Bunny Biscuits Recipe
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
Simple Make-Ahead Biscuits Recipe
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Stir in the cream until a dough forms, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter. Cut out as many as possible. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Gather scraps of dough a knead together briefly, then pat out again and cut more biscuits. Repeat until all dough is used.
Preparing For the Freezer:
- Wrap the baking sheet tightly with greased plastic and freeze the biscuits for about 6 hours.
- Transfer frozen biscuits to a large resealable bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
Prepare after Freezing:
- Do not thaw biscuits. Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Place frozen biscuits on a lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake one baking sheet at a time, until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
To Serve Without Freezing:
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Bake one sheet at a time, for about 13-18 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
Recipe Adapted From: The Best Make-Ahead Recipes