Grilled Steak with Cowboy Butter
Easy, delicious grilled steak – on the cheap too!
Grilled steak can be so delicious when you get a good cut and grill it right! Yum. This particular grilled steak recipe rocks my world because it is easy to make and yields fantastic results with cheaper cuts of beef! Restaurant quality, delicious steak straight from your home grill – and for a fraction of the cost. The secret is in the spice rub.
Well, ok, there are a few other “secrets” to creating this amazing grilled steak, like letting the meat rest before slicing, then slicing against the grain. But the spice rub is definitely part of it! The chipotle powder, cocoa powder, and brown sugar provide deep flavor. If you like a little more heat, increase the chipotle chile powder up to 1 tablespoon. If you want to avoid adding sugar, for whatever reason, feel free to omit the brown sugar from the spice rub.
There is about 2 1/2 pounds of London broil in the photos here. Other options are flank steak, top round steak, or even chuck steaks for this recipe though. Choose whichever one is the lowest price and looks like a cut you will enjoy. This London broil cut tasted awesome and didn’t break the bank either!
This grilled steak is really tasty without the cowboy butter or any sauce, but the flavorful, buttery sauce is an easy way to take it up a notch. I like to take a few bites without, then dip a few bites in the butter sauce, and go back and forth. Cowboy butter is also delicious with grilled chicken and fish!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can enjoy amazing grilled steak without spending a lot of money. Doesn’t hurt that it is easy to make too! Hope you give this recipe a try and love it as much as I do!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
See great ideas for your next BBQ with our favorite BBQ recipes.
Find the perfect side dish to go along with this easy grilled steak recipe!
You might also like these recipes:
- grilled garlic herb steak
- balsamic beef kebabs
- grilled rosemary garlic potatoes
- grilled orange-glazed carrots
- lemon garlic asparagus
- zucchini with lemon salt
- lemon herb potato salad
Grilled Steak with Cowboy Butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 pounds flank steak, London broil, or top round steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or pinch of cayenne (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, chile powder, cocoa, brown sugar, coriander, and garlic. Pat steaks dry with a paper towel, then rub with spice mixture. Transfer steaks to a large resealable bag and refrigerate for 6 hours, or up to 24 hours. (You can skip the refrigeration time, if you need to, but the steaks may not be as tender.)
- For a gas grill, preheat on high for about 15 minutes. Clean and oil cooking grates, then turn burners to medium-high.
- Brush the steaks with oil. Place them on the hot grill and cook until charred on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F (for medium-rare). Transfer steak to a carving board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cowboy butter by whisking together the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slice the steak thinly going against the grain. Serve with cowboy butter, if desired.
If you like a little more heat, increase the chipotle chile powder up to 1 tablespoon.
Recipe Adapted From: Easy Keto Dinners and Cook's Country