Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Delicious and easy Hawaiian BBQ Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Kebabs!
I love grilled kebabs. Easy to make and lots of flavor in each bite. These Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Kebabs are no exception – lots of delicious flavor and an easy homemade Hawaiian BBQ sauce! Sounds yummy, right? Well, it is! So make a plan to try it out soon!
Here’s the story of how this recipe came to be…
I wanted a new, delicious grilled chicken recipe and Huli Huli chicken caught my eye. Huli Huli is a type of Hawaiian BBQ, simply put. I looked around at several recipes and selected a popular one to try. It was good and easy, but lacked flavor, in my opinion. Then I found a Huli Huli recipe including a spice rub, which would certainly add more flavor, but the rest of the recipe seemed a little complicated (and possibly spicy).
For me, it’s gotta be flavorful and delicious, but still easy! So I tweaked things a bit and morphed it into what is basically a Hawaiian BBQ version of these famous BBQ chicken kebabs!
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy Huli Huli style grilled chicken recipe, read on! This is the recipe I would go with! 😉
The Hawaiian BBQ sauce is from scratch, but still easy to throw in a saucepan and simmer. Most of the ingredients are pretty common and easy to find. If you don’t have Sriracha, you can try adding a small amount of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. A very small amount won’t make the sauce spicy, but adds depth of flavor.
This Huli Huli sauce is similar to a sweet traditional BBQ sauce, but it has a tropical twist and some slight teriyaki notes, thanks to the pineapple juice, ginger, and soy sauce.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
This amazing Huli Huli chicken pairs wonderfully with sliced green onions, rice, and pineapple. Of course, it also works well with just about any other BBQ side dish or whatever else you would serve with chicken too. 😉 By the way, these are my favorite skewers! Enjoy!
You might also like these recipes:
- Grilled Pineapple
- Best BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Cauliflower Rice
- Lemon Herb Potato Salad
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Kebabs
- Broccoli Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Cookie and Fruit Salad
- Hawaiian Grilled Chicken with Coconut Rice
- Spicy Mango Blueberry Salad
- Chipotle Sweet Lime Rice
- Pineapple Whip
- Hawaiian Rolls
Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Kebabs Recipe
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Huli Huli Sauce
- 1 cup canned 100% pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the spice rub ingredients: smoked paprika, ground ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, then season the chicken pieces evenly with the spice rub mixture. Cover or place in resealable bag and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 10-15 minutes. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup of sauce for serving. Use remaining sauce to baste chicken while grilling.
- Turn all gas grill burners to high, close lid, and heat for about 15 minutes. Scrape the grill grates clean. Leave primary burner(s) on, turn off other burners. Oil the grill grates. (I use tongs, a paper towel, and cooking oil.)
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers. Grill over the primary burner(s) with lid closed, turning one-quarter of a turn every 2 minutes or so, until browned and slightly charred (about 8 minutes total for chicken breast and 10 minutes for thighs). Brush the top of kebabs with Huli Huli sauce during cooking.
- At the end of cooking time, brush top of kebabs with more of the sauce, flip and cook about 1 minute. Brush second side with sauce; flip and cook for another minute or so.
- Remove kebabs from grill, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with reserved Huli Huli sauce.
Recipe Adapted From: Carlsbad Cravings