Grilled Rosemary Garlic Potatoes
Grilled Rosemary Garlic Potatoes? Yes!
Looking for a new way to cook potatoes? Or maybe a side dish that you can throw on the grill for your next BBQ? Well, this is an awesome recipe for how to grill potatoes! I highly recommend you give it a try. They are a big hit every time I make them! Everyone will be asking, where did you get this recipe?! Trust me!
Cooking the garlic, rosemary, salt, and oil in a skillet produces an oil that is infused with flavor! This infused oil, and more than one application of it, really adds a great flavor to the potatoes.
Note that a plastic strainer may not be a good idea unless the oil mixture has cooled down a bit. I tend to use this strainer a lot in general because the holes are really nice and small. It is perfect for rice and quinoa! 😉 You don’t want all your ingredients falling out as well!
Microwaving the potatoes before they go on the grill helps them to cook up perfectly! The down side is I can’t use my favorite metal skewers – metal in the microwave is not a good idea. Fortunately, wooden skewers are pretty easy to come by and they don’t cost much.
You can soak wooden skewers in water for 15-30 minutes before use to prevent burning. I actually ran out of time to soak them this time and it still worked out fine though!
FYI – The reason you place the potatoes on a flat surface, then skewer them in that position is because they will cook more evenly if they can be mostly flat on the grill.
Even if the outsides get a little dark, the insides are creamy and delicious. One time I thought I had ruined them because they were darker than I wanted, but they were actually still really good. Everyone gobbled them right up!
A perfect side dish for grilled steak! Of course, these potatoes are great with chicken, burgers, and more too! They are so easy and so delicious!
Grilled Rosemary Garlic Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 6 to 8 wooden skewers
- Cut the potatoes in half. If they are larger than 2 inches in diameter, you may need to cut them into quarters. Place potato cut-side down on a surface and pierce through center with wooden skewer. Repeat until all potatoes are skewered.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and 1/2 tsp salt until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until garlic is light blond, about 3 minutes. Then pour through fine-mesh strainer into small bowl; press on solids. Measure 1 Tbsp solids and 1 Tbsp of the infused oil into large bowl and set aside. Discard remaining solids, but reserve remaining oil.
- Place skewered potatoes in single layer on microwave-safe plate. Poke each potato several times with skewer or fork. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil and season with salt. Microwave until potatoes offer slight resistance when pierced, about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. Brush with remaining oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat gas grill on high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cook potatoes with lid down for about 4 minutes. Then cook the other side of the potatoes for about about 5-8 minutes longer, until easily pierced.
- Remove potatoes from skewers and put them in the large bowl with reserved garlic oil mixture. Add chives (if using) and toss until potatoes are coated. Serve immediately.