Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe Ever
My Favorite Cake Like Cornbread
Here it is! I had to make a lot of cornbread to get to this point, but I am happy to say that I have finally found my go-to sweet cornbread recipe! It’s easy to make, doesn’t take a lot of time, and the ingredients are pretty simple (you’ll have most of them on hand). Oh yeah, and it tastes great!
You can put some honey butter on it to make it even tastier, but really, this cornbread is so delicious that my kids and I enjoy eating it plain – no butter needed. There is just something amazing about a good homemade cornbread with a hearty stew or a delicious chili on a fall or winter evening.
Sweet vs. Savory
There are a lot of different ways to do cornbread, but it can generally be split into two camps: sweet or savory. I personally prefer sweet and cake-like, but I want the cornbread to still be versatile enough to go with savory dishes too.
This cake-like cornbread recipe yields what I think to be the perfect compromise between cake and cornbread – still on the sweet side, but not too sweet. It isn’t too dry or dense either, like a lot of cornbread can be.
The Taste Test:
I invited a few friends over to taste test and help me decide on the final favorite, and one of my friends says that this cornbread reminds her of the famous Marie Callender’s cornbread. Whether you’ve tried Marie Callender’s cornbread before or not, just know that this recipe makes a pretty darn good cornbread and I hope you give it a try! My kids even love it!
If you end up doing a taste test yourself, let us know if you think this is the best cornbread recipe ever! Or, if you don’t like it as much as we do, let us know why!
I don’t often have buttermilk on hand, so I usually use this easy substitution when I make this sweet cornbread recipe:
- 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar
- Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the batter
- Works perfectly!
Also, I like to make this recipe in an 8×8 baking dish, but it can easily be doubled for a 9×13. Hooray for easy homemade cornbread!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Glazed Donut Muffins Recipe
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
- Easy Lemon Blueberry Quick Bread Recipe
- Quick One-Hour Dinner Roll Recipe
- Amazing Bacon Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe Ever
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup fine cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish or pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs and salt, then add the buttermilk and mix. Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (An 8x8 size may take longer to cook because the cornbread will be thicker than in a 9x9 pan.)
- Serve warm with butter and honey, honey butter, soup, stew, chili, etc.
Recipe Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything