Poor Man’s Lasagna Recipe
Easy, cheap lasagna recipe the whole family will love!
Poor Man’s Lasagna is my husband’s favorite dinner! Actually, the whole family likes it a lot, so this poor man’s meal makes a fairly regular appearance on the dinner table and as a freezer meal.
You certainly don’t have to be a poor man to enjoy this easy, cheap lasagna recipe though!
I usually use penne pasta, but it definitely works with other pasta noodles, like farfalle, fusilli, radiatore and more. In fact, changing up the noodles sometimes makes it feel like a whole new meal to the kids. 😉
Keep it simple and easy by mixing the cream cheese and cottage cheese with the pasta right in the same pot used for boiling the pasta. After you’ve drained the pasta water, of course. (I use a 5-quart pot.)
The warmth of the pot and cooked pasta also helps to melt the cream cheese into the mixture.
Using a store-bought pasta sauce is a super easy option! Just open the jar and pour it on! Plus, you can often find sales and coupons to help you get the pasta sauce for cheap.
However, if you’d rather use a thick homemade pasta sauce, go for it! Just note that the flavor of your lasagna casserole will be affected by the sauce that you use.
Sometimes I split the poor man’s meal between two 8×8 pans, because one 8×8 is plenty for my family. Then I freeze the other 8×8 for later or to give to someone else!
Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the pan and depth of the casserole.
You might also like these recipes:
Side dish recipes to go with lasagna:
- Easy Breadsticks
- One-Hour Rolls
- Crazy Bread Copycat Recipe
- Green Salad with Homemade Zesty Italian Dressing
- Best Roasted Asparagus
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Poor Man's Lasagna Recipe
- 12 to 14 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 24 ounce jar red pasta sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Boil the pasta according to instructions on packaging.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Stir in the Italian seasoning before the meat is done cooking. Drain the grease, if needed. Set aside.
- Drain the water from the pasta and return it to the pot. While the pasta is still warm, add the cream cheese and cottage cheese and gently stir until combined.
- Layer a 9x13 pan (or two 8x8 pans) with half of the pasta mixture, meat, and pasta sauce. Repeat. Add shredded cheese on top. (See below for freezer instructions.) Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, until warmed through.
Preparing for the Freezer:
- Right after topping with cheese (and before baking), cover with few layers of plastic wrap. Then cover with foil. Label and freeze.
Prepare after Freezing:
- Thaw for about 24 hours in refrigerator, unwrap and bake as usual. Or keep frozen, unwrap, then re-cover with one layer of foil. Bake covered for about 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Remove foil and increase oven temperature to 350. Bake for about 30 more minutes, until cheese is melted and filling is bubbling and warmed through.