Healthy Lemon Herb Potato Salad Recipe
This is my all-time favorite potato salad recipe!
I make this lemon herb potato salad recipe any chance I get – BBQs, holidays, family gatherings, parties, etc. It is always a big hit! Not your traditional potato salad with mayo and all, but definitely my favorite of any I’ve ever tried!
I love the ingredients for this potato salad too – simple, fresh, and delicious. You don’t have to be eating healthy to enjoy the amazing flavors and textures.
Boiling the red potatoes in water with vinegar keeps them firm, but still tender. Red potatoes are perfect in this lemon potato salad because they hold their shape well (because of the low starch content) and the peel adds some nice color.
Love This Lemon and Herb Dressing!
The lemon and herb dressing is simple but flavorful. Yeah, it is kind of a pain to mince up all those herbs, but maybe some herb scissors would help. It’s worth it either way! I love the bit of fresh lemon flavor in there too. So good!
PS: Love fun and useful kitchen gadgets like herb scissors? Check out these other cool kitchen gadgets as well!
I almost didn’t want to try the potato salad with capers and tarragon, because they were unfamiliar to me. But they are pretty easy to find at the local grocery store (capers are often located by the olives) and the tarragon was even on sale, so I went for it. I’m so glad too because these herbs are perfect in this lemony potato salad!
If you really want to try something a little different, you can try subbing basil, cilantro, and mint for the herbs in the recipe. I’m sure it is delicious as well!
Drizzling some of the dressing over the potatoes while they are still hot helps the dressing to really permeate and stick onto the potatoes.
This Lemon Herb Potato Salad is my favorite potato salad! There’s really nothing I can think of that would improve this recipe. It’s simple, healthy, pretty quick to make, and all the flavors work together perfectly.
If you end up trying this recipe, I hope you love it too! 🙂 Be sure to let me know how it goes!
More Salad Recipes:
We love a good healthy red potato salad, but we have some more amazing salad recipes for you to enjoy as well!
- Marshmallow Fruit Salad with Pudding and Cool Whip
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad Copycat
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Italian Green Bean Pasta Salad
- Green Salad with DIY Zesty Italian Dressing
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes? Subscribe to our recipe email.
Healthy Lemon Herb Potato Salad Recipe
- Dutch oven
- Large bowl
- 3 pounds red potatoes unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1 1/2 large lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion rinsed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh green onions
- 2 tablespoons drained capers minced
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, combine the potatoes, water, salt, and vinegar and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a strong simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil until combined; set aside.
- Drain potatoes, then transfer them to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the dressing over the hot potatoes and toss gently to coat. Let potatoes cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooling.
- Whisk dressing to recombine and stir in onion, tarragon, parsley, green onions, and capers. Add cooled potatoes to dressing and stir gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Comments & Reviews
Love this recipe! My new favorite potato salad! It has a wonderfully fresh flavor to it.
Thanks, Lauren! It is my favorite potato salad recipe too! <3