Crazy Delicious Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe
The best gluten-free, low carb zucchini pizza crust recipe!
I am so happy about this zucchini pizza crust recipe! I might not even give away a bunch of that zucchini from my garden this year. Instead, you’ll find me shredding and freezing zucchini, baby, so I can enjoy zucchini crust pizza all year long! (Check out all of the Zucchini Recipes we have too by the way)
My family doesn’t eat strictly low carb, gluten-free, or keto, so we don’t have adapted taste buds or healthy tastes or whatever. But that makes it even more exciting to me when I find low carb, healthy alternatives that my family does enjoy!
And if you’re tracking Weight Watchers points, this one is a friendly recipe! Simply modify to fat free cheese and you can have a slice of this pizza and it will only cost you 2 Freestyle Points! Woot!
The first time I made zucchini pizza crust, my kids could not get over the mushy, soft texture on the bottom of the crust – they declared it to be gross and wouldn’t finish eating it. I really saw some potential in it though and actually had no problem eating their leftovers. 😉 So I made some tweaks and found out how to get the bottom of the crust to brown and here we are! (Thank you, Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.)
My kids’ review of this current recipe is that it’s good. The pizza isn’t as enjoyable to them as their favorite traditional pizzas, but “it is better than the school lunch pizza” and they will definitely eat it next time I make it. Haha. My husband and I actually really like this zucchini pizza! We have no leftovers with this recipe!
I love the flavor and that it is so much healthier for us. My son has Type 1, so I also love that he can eat this pizza and basically have no blood sugar spike at all. Traditional pizza can be tricky to dose insulin for with Type 1 and often causes high blood glucose several hours later.
Some other bonuses about this recipe are that you don’t have to mess around with yeast dough and letting it rise, it is a fantastic way to use up zucchini from the garden, and sneak some extra vegetables into the meal!
How to remove the liquid from shredded zucchini:
If you have time, place shredded zucchini in a colander, then sprinkle salt over it. Let sit for about 20 minutes. Then place the shredded zucchini in a clean towel or cloth and twist to wring out the excess liquid.
If you don’t have time to let it sit with the salt, just try to wring it out really, really well. I place it in a clean dish towel or tea towel, then twist and wring to release the liquid.
If you don’t have a pizza stone (I have the Old Stone Pizza Stone), then you can use an appropriately sized baking sheet or pan. If you don’t have a pizza peel, use an overturned baking sheet or any other apparatus that allows you to easily slide the parchment with crust onto the stone or pan that is in the oven.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Nutrition info will vary depending on the sauce and toppings that you use.
Crazy Delicious Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- any additional desired toppings
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini to release as much liquid as possible! (See blog post for how to remove the liquid from shredded zucchini.)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 30 minutes. The oven and the stone/pan need to be nice and hot before you put the crust in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and lightly beat them. Then add the zucchini, almond flour, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Stir to mix it all together, until well combined.
- Grease or use nonstick cooking spray on a piece of parchment paper. Place the parchment on a pizza peel or baking sheet turned upside down, some sort of apparatus that allows you to slide the parchment with crust onto the preheated stone/pan that's in the oven.
- Dump the crust mixture onto the prepared parchment. Press the mixture evenly into a 10-inch circle, or whatever desired shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Slide the parchment with crust onto the preheated pizza stone/pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, until edges are golden brown and crust is firm. The bottom of the crust will also be golden brown.
- Remove crust and parchment from oven and top with pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and your desired pizza toppings. Return pizza to oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes, depending on toppings. If desired, garnish with fresh basil or Italian seasoning and grated Parmesan cheese.
If you don't want to use almond flour, try using 1/4 cup all-purpose flour instead. Use fat free cheese to get one slice for just 2 Freestyle Points!
Recipe Adapted From: The Recipe Critic