Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
I love a good potato soup recipe!
Even better is when that potato soup recipe can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot pressure cooker! Easy and delicious! This potato soup is full of that delicious loaded potato flavor with cheese, bacon, and sour cream. Yum!
I really like Yukon Gold potatoes in this recipe because they already have a creamy texture, but I think any type of potato would probably work well too. If you’re looking for other ways to use up Yukon Gold potatoes, they are my favorite kind of potato for these recipes too: Melting Roasted Potatoes and Slow Cooker Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes.
Have you tried using a Y-peeler before? I was hesitant at first, but now I prefer it over the traditional style peelers!
The soup and potatoes only need about 3 minutes of cooking at high pressure. My Instant Pot pressure cooker usually takes around 15 minutes to first come to pressure with this potato soup recipe, but it is still a pretty quick cook time and totally hands off during that time too.
Adjust the thickness of the soup to your preference by either cooking the soup on saute setting after adding the roux of flour and butter, or by adding more chicken broth.
This loaded potato soup recipe is a creamy, cheesy, delicious meal, perfect for those cold fall and winter days! Comfort food, for sure. Maybe even more comforting served with some sort of bread – like rolls, breadsticks, or in bread bowls. Hope you try out this recipe and enjoy!
Would you like to see more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons dried parsley
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- topping options: chives, green onion, cheese, bacon, sour cream
- Instant Pot: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the pressure cooker on saute setting. Add the onion and garlic and saute until onion begins to soften, 1-2 minutes. Add the potatoes, broth, parsley, and bacon. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then quick release. (If liquid is being released too, wait about 5 minutes and try again.)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and melt. Whisk in the flour and gradually add the milk or cream, whisking until smooth. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Mash about 3/4 of the potatoes with a potato masher, then stir in the shredded cheese and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. If needed, set to saute and cook, while stirring, until thickened.
- Slow Cooker: Add onion, garlic, potatoes, broth, parsley, and bacon to the slow cooker. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 on high, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Once soup is cooked, add 4 tablespoons butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour and gradually add the milk or cream, whisking until smooth. Reduce heat and let simmer until it starts to thicken, stirring occasionally. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Mash about 3/4 of the potatoes with a potato masher, then stir in the shredded cheese and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with desired toppings.
If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe Adapted From: The Slow Roasted Italian