Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
How to make creamy broccoli cheese soup from scratch!
Talk about comfort food – creamy, cheesy, and delicious broccoli cheese soup! Take it to the next level by serving it in bread bowls or with fresh rolls. (Check out my favorite roll recipe.) Even without the bread, this creamy broccoli cheese soup is sure to satisfy!
Adding the flour to the butter mixture, then cooking while whisking makes a simple roux, which is what helps the soup to thicken later. Check out the flour-free variations below though, if desired.
After cooking and whisking the roux for 3-5 minutes, gradually whisk in the broth. The roux suddenly turns into more of paste or dough, then loosens up as more broth and milk are incorporated.
Use a silicone whisk to protect the non-stick surface on pots and pans. This is my favorite silicone whisk – had it for years and it is still in great shape!
To make this soup low carb, use heavy cream in place of the milk, or half heavy cream and half almond milk (or something similar). Omit the flour and carrot. If the soup is not as thick as you want it in the absence of the flour roux, you can add a thickener. Stirring in a 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum at the end of cooking works. Or a cornstarch slurry may work as well.
Another low carb thickener option that I’ve heard about is to whip the heavy cream in a separate bowl, then fold it into the soup at the end of cooking. Let me know how it goes if you try it!
See more low carb recipes.
Similarly, this soup can be gluten free. Leave out the flour and use a gluten-free thickening option like those mentioned above.
See more gluten free recipes.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
You might also like this healthy broccoli cheese soup recipe! Check out our favorite salad recipes – soup and salad go together! Here are some bread recipes for you too.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup onion diced (about 1 small onion)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets bite-size
- 1 cup shredded carrot optional
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 ounce cream cheese softened (optional)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 2 cups)
- Prep and measure ingredients before starting the cooking.
- In a medium or large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring regularly, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, whisking constantly, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually whisk in the broth and milk.
- Stir in the broccoli and carrot (if using) and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let simmer until broccoli is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened enough to easily stir. Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne, and cream cheese to the soup, stirring to combine. Stir in the shredded cheese until melted and incorporated. Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe Adapted From: Averie Cooks