My Favorite Breadstick Recipe
The best bread stick recipe!
This is the best bread stick recipe to me because it is fast, easy, and delicious! I have been making these breadsticks for years now and my family LOVES them.
It is pretty awesome to have homemade, yummy bread sticks in just an hour from start to finish!
The ingredients and recipe are super simple. The dough consists of only yeast, water, flour, sugar, and salt. I usually use instant yeast and just let it soften in the water while I measure out the dry ingredients. If your yeast is not instant, you can let it proof and become bubbly while in the water, about 5-10 minutes.
I use a spoon to stir all of the dough ingredients together until I can see the dough start to form.
Then I knead the dough by hand for about 3 minutes to finish combining the ingredients. Honestly, I usually knead the dough right there in the bowl! (I use a 4-quart bowl, by the way.) At this point the dough is still quite sticky, but you can form it into a ball.
Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Then it is ready to be rolled out on a lightly floured surface. If you are worried that your dough is over-floured, you can just spray your surface with a nonstick cooking spray or try using a nonstick silicone baking mat. If you use a nonstick mat, just be sure that you don’t cut the dough into strips with something that will cut your mat as well.
A pizza cutter works really well for cutting the dough into strips. Then hold the ends of each strip together and twist. Next up is a roll around in the melted butter and finding a place to rest on the pan.
Once the bread sticks are shaped, buttered, and arranged in the pan, it is time for the seasonings! I like to sprinkle on some garlic salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. There are many other seasonings that would be great too! I think the Parmesan cheese is key to a good bread stick though.
The second rise only needs about 20 minutes. So, I just start heating my oven at this point and once my oven reaches the temperature, I start baking! The bread sticks will not have doubled in size, but you can tell that they are slightly more puffy.
This recipe is from my mom and my family cookbook.
This glass 2-cup measuring cup is super handy. I use it all the time!
See my favorite whole wheat bread recipe here.
My Favorite Breadstick Recipe
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- onion powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Then stir in the yeast mixture until combined and dough begins to come together.
- Knead the dough for 3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and pour onto a baking sheet. Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough out into a rectangle about the size of the baking sheet. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 1-inch-wide strips. With a strip of dough, bring the ends together so it is doubled, then twist. Roll the bread stick in the butter until coated, then place on the pan. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Season with garlic salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning, or other desired seasonings. Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over the bread sticks. Don't be skimpy!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, let the bread sticks rise for 10-20 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until beginning to lightly brown.
Make Ahead Instructions: After seasoning, cover with foil and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator about 1 hour before serving to let the bread sticks come to room temperature and rise for about 10 minutes, then bake according to directions.