Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup with Poblano Chilies
This slow cooker chicken quinoa soup with poblano chilies is very tasty and easy to put together! My favorite thing about this recipe is that it only takes about 10-minutes to prep, and then I can just throw it in the slow cooker and wait for it to be ready.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make extra and freeze it for later! I love freezer meals because they’re just so convenient and easy. Check out our list of 50 healthy make-ahead freezer meals for more recipe ideas.
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients for this slow cooker chicken quinoa soup! It may look like a lot but you probably already have some of the ingredients on hand, and the others aren’t hard to find. You can even find groceries on Amazon now!
The one ingredient that you most likely won’t have on hand already is the poblano peppers, but you can use almost any other mild pepper in place of these. The benefit of the poblano peppers are that they add a nice mild spice to the soup!
By the way, if you don’t have any chicken broth on hand, you can make your own with our fat-free chicken broth recipe. The recipe makes extra so you can freeze some and store it away for other recipes that use chicken broth.
Recommended Slow Cooker
If you don’t have a slow cooker already, you should definitely get one! They’re not too expensive and they’re amazing for easy, stress-free dinners. Here’s one from Amazon that we recommend:
Crock-Pot Cook’ N Carry 6-Quart Oval Manual Portable Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel
I love a nice and easy soup recipe on a cold day. Serve this delicious and mildy spicy chicken quinoa soup with these quick dinner rolls, copycat olive garden breadsticks, green salad, or even just a simple veggie tray.
Hope you enjoy this tasty chicken quinoa slow cooker soup! If you try it out, let us know what you think, what changes you would make, and your overall thoughts!
More Soup & Chili Recipes:
- Green Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash
- Crockpot Lentil Soup with Sausage Freezer Meal
- White Chicken Chili Recipe (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes? Subscribe to our recipe email.
Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Small pan
- 3 to 4 large poblano peppers or other mild peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 15 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper
- Roast whole poblano peppers on a grill, or in a 400°F/200°C oven for about 20 mins, turning peppers halfway through cooking. Cut roasted peppers in half to remove seeds and stems, then dice the peppers.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Saute the diced onion, garlic and cumin, until onions are tender, 2-3 mins.
- To a 4-quart or larger slow cooker, add chicken, broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes (including the liquid), beans, corn, quinoa, peppers, and onion mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and quinoa has "popped." The longer the quinoa is in the slow cooker, the more liquid it will absorb. You can cook on low for 6-8 hours, but the soup may end up more like a stew.
- Remove the chicken from soup, chop or shred it, then return chicken to the slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in and garnish with the chopped cilantro. More garnish options are shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or salsa. Serve warm.
Easy Air Fryer Lemon Donuts3 Comments