Easy Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
We’ve already shown you how to cook a whole chicken in your crockpot, now it’s time for the instant pot version! To get this recipe perfect for you, I stalked out Instant Pot directly to get all of the recommendations their company has for cooking a whole chicken in the instant pot.
There are a few big benefits to cooking a whole chicken this way:
- It’s super fast – This is the main, most obvious benefit. It takes less than 30-minutes for this entire recipe!
- Easy stuffing – Stuffing the cavity of an instant pot whole chicken with onions, vegetables, apples or stuffing does not affect the cooking time the same way it does when you roast a chicken in the oven.
- Tender, juicy meat – No dry meat here! Instant pot chicken is so tender and juicy it basically falls off the bone!
- Instant Pot – Make sure to get a chicken that fits in your instant pot! The biggest sized chicken that will fit in an 8-quart Instant Pot is 5 pounds.
- Instant pot rack – This handy Instant Pot accessory will prevent your chicken from burning on the bottom, so don’t forget it! You can find these on Amazon if you don’t already have one.
- Kitchen twine – Because instant pot chicken is very tender, tying the legs helps kind of hold everything in place so it can make it to the final platter looking beautiful. To make things even easier, you can also tuck in the wings by making a small slice along the breast, so they stay close to the bird.
Chicken Seasoning Recipe
You can make a big batch of this lemon pepper herb dry rub recipe if you plan on using it more in the future, but if you just want to try it out, here are the ingredient quantities for one whole chicken:
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
Because this dry rub recipe has paprika, it gives the Instant Pot chicken a nice roasted look once it’s finished. Pressure cooking a chicken is similar to boiling it, so even if you’re not using the rub recipe above, try using one with paprika or chile in it for a visually appealing dish!
How Long to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
It’s actually really easy to figure out how long to cook your whole chicken for in the Instant Pot. Unlike an oven-roasted chicken, there’s almost no guesswork involved!
To figure out your cooking time, start by weighing your chicken. Instant Pot recommends cooking your whole chicken for 8 minutes per pound on HIGH. It’s as simple as that!
There are a ton of tasty side dishes you can serve alongside your whole chicken. Try some buttermilk mashed potatoes, homemade dinner rolls, rosemary garlic potatoes, a green salad, or even just a simple veggie tray! So many ways to make this a meal.
Have any other tips and tricks when it comes to cooking a whole chicken in an Instant Pot? Any serving tips? Share your thoughts below!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Easy BBQ Chicken & Black Bean Burritos
- Healthy White Chicken Chili
- Honey Parmesan Pork Roast
- Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken
- Easy Instant Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
Easy Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
- Chop the onion into large chunks, and place inside the cavity of the chicken.
- If desired, tie the legs together for a better presentation after cooking.
- Rub the Lemon Herb Dry Rub evenly over the exterior of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the cooking rack and place inside the instant pot.
- Pour the recommended amount of chicken broth or water inside the instant pot.
- Place the cover in locked position and move the lid valve to “seal”.
- Use the manual setting to pressure cook on high for 24 minutes. (This is for a 3 Equipment needed: instant pot, cooking rack, kitchen twine
Equipment needed: instant pot, cooking rack, kitchen twine
If using a larger chicken, increase cook time by 8 minutes per pound of chicken.
Our favorite Lemon Herb Dry Rub: https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/recipes/lemon-pepper-herb-dry-rub-recipe/