Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe – 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points
Quick & Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
I LOVE this honey sesame chicken recipe! Mostly everyone in my family loves it too, so I keep the simple ingredients on hand and make it often. It is super easy to make in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. Plus, you can prep or cook it in advance for an easy freezer meal!
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 7
With a small modification, you can use this recipe with your Weight Watchers Menu Planning and get 7 points out of it! Simply reduce the honey and sesame oil by half and you’re good! Want to leave the recipe as is? Then it will be 12 Weight Watchers Points!
Making the Sauce
The sauce is simple and sweetened with honey. And yes, the sauce is pretty sweet, but it is also very delicious to those that enjoy sweet meat recipes. I sure do love a good honey, soy sauce, and garlic combo! Note that the amount of red pepper flakes in this recipe doesn’t make it spicy, but it does add a little more flavor.
Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
I used to make this recipe all the time in my slow cooker, but it is definitely faster in the Instant Pot! Pressure cooker adaptation is pretty easy for this recipe too, just add some water. The sauce comes out too thick and too sweet if you don’t. Perfect option for those of us that don’t plan ahead for meals very well sometimes.
Freezer Meal Instructions
What’s even more helpful than cooking this recipe in a pressure cooker is making extra and freezing the rest. Then when you don’t know what to serve for dinner, you can just go into your freezer, reheat the chicken, cook some rice, and viola! Dinner is served.
Make this recipe a freezer meal by placing the sauce and the raw chicken in a labeled freezer bag then lay it flat and freeze. (The sauce doesn’t really freeze all the way, but it still works.) When you’re ready to cook your instant pot sesame chicken, thaw it in the refrigerator and cook as instructed.
As an alternative, you can also cook up your honey sesame chicken with the sauce as directed in the recipe and then freeze the cooked chicken. It reheats nicely and quickly in a skillet on the stove top.
Want to make it gluten-free? Use a gluten-free soy sauce option.
More Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Recipes:
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash
- White Chicken Chili Recipe (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Honey Teriyaki Chicken Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Recipe - 5 Weight Watchers Points
- Slow Cooker
- Pressure Cooker
- 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- optional garnish: chopped green onions, sesame seeds
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray, or use a slow cooker liner. Place the raw chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, onion, minced garlic, pepper, and ginger. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred.
- Whisk together the water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk it into the sauce and heat on high until the sauce begins to thicken, while continuing to stir or whisk. (You can thicken the sauce in a saucepan on the stove top at medium high heat, if that works better for you.)
- Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the sauce and stir to coat. Serve over rice and garnish, if desired.
- Spray the inside of the Instant Pot inner pot with nonstick cooking spray. Place the raw chicken breasts into the pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, onion, crushed garlic, pepper, and ginger. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on high pressure for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred. (I usually do a quick pressure release, but natural release is ideal.)
- Whisk together the water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk it into the sauce and use the Saute setting, continuing to whisk. Cook for a few minutes while the sauce begins to boil and thicken.
- Turn off the pot. Place the shredded chicken back in with the sauce and stir to coat. Serve over rice and garnish, if desired.
Recipe Adapted From: The Recipe Critic