Instant Pot Roast Recipe
Easy Instant Pot roast recipe with potatoes and carrots!
This roast recipe has become one of my go-tos for a satisfying and easy Sunday family dinner! It can be tricky trying out roast recipes because they often take a lot of time and the cost of roasts can really add up. I was tired of ending up with dry, flavorless roasts, but then I tried this recipe and finally found what I was looking for!
The roast always ends up tender and flavorful for me with this recipe! By the way, this is one of the USDA Choice Chuck Roasts that I bought from Zaycon Fresh when it was on sale. Love their stuff!
Add the red cooking wine, if you can, because it will lend to a meatier flavor. With a roast recipe, you want all the meaty flavor you can get! I have made it without the cooking wine, and it is still good though.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
I love that you get the roast, potatoes, and carrots all in one pot with this roast recipe. The whole meal is ready to go! The only thing you might want to add is some bread or rolls. These One Hour Rolls or Breadsticks would be my first choices as a delicious side for the meal.
Keep in mind with this Instant Pot pressure cooker recipe that it takes 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then the 75-minute cooking time will start. When cooking time is done, let the pot sit for 10 minutes so some of the pressure can be released naturally. So you’ve got about an hour and 35 minutes of hands-off cooking time. That’s a lot faster than a lot of roast recipes in the slow cooker or oven!
See more of our favorite Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 (2- to 3-pound) beef chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red cooking wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 red potatoes, halved
- 1 yellow onion, cut in wedges or sliced
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed into 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Generously season flour with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the mixture onto the roast.
- Heat oil on saute setting, until sizzling. Place floured roast into the pressure cooker and brown on each side.
- Add the beef broth, vinegar, cooking wine (if using), garlic, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper into the pot. Secure the lid and set for 75 minutes in high pressure. (For roasts more than 2 1/2 inches thick, cook for 85 minutes.) It will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and begin the cooking time.
- Do a quick release, then add potatoes, onion, and carrots. Secure lid and cook for 5 minutes on high pressure. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then do quick release.
- Transfer roast and veggies to serving dish and cover with foil. Set cooker to saute and whisk in the cornstarch and water. Let simmer for about 2 minutes to thicken, then stir in the butter. Pour the gravy over the roast and veggies before serving.
Recipe Source: Great Food Fast