Air Fryer Beef Jerky
Air fryer beef jerky is easy and delicious!
Karen B. sent in this recipe for us to try and it is definitely worth trying! I like it even better than store-bought jerky. This homemade beef jerky is fresh, tender, and flavorful.
How to make homemade beef jerky in the air fryer
The marinade is simple with a lot of common ingredients that can be found at any grocery store. Meat tenderizer is a seasoned salt with an enzyme in it to help tenderize the meat.
The easiest, best way to prep the meat is to ask the butcher at your grocery store to slice it for you. I simply told the butcher that I wanted about 1 pound flank steak sliced 1/8-inch thick and they did all of the cutting for me. Perfect! Bottom round is another cut that works well.
Add the strips of meat to a dish or bag with the marinade and stir or massage it around so each piece of meat is coated in the marinade. Let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or up to 24 hours.
When the meat is done marinating, remove it from the marinade and pat each piece of meat dry with paper towels.
Next step is to layer the strips of meat in the air fryer. It is ideal to get as much of the meat in a single layer as possible. I used this rack and skewers to get 3 total layers – one on the bottom of the air fryer basket, one on the metal rack, then draped over the skewers.
How long to cook beef jerky in the air fryer
Air fry the strips of meat at 180°F/82°C for 45 minutes. Then check it to see if it is done to you liking or if it needs more time. About 60 minutes cooking time was just right for me! Cook longer for more tough, chewy jerky. Of course, it may vary by air fryer and if your meat is sliced thicker, it will probably need to cook for longer.
This beef jerky is so tasty! While my whole family thought it was delicious, I think I ate most of it myself in just a few days.
See more of our favorite air fryer recipes!
- Simple Air Fryer Chicken Tenders Recipe
- Sweet and Savory Air Fryer Ham with Honey Brown Sugar Glaze
- Flavorful Sausage, Potato, and Onion in the Air Fryer
Need a crash course on your air fryer? Check out these air fryer guides:
- All about the best and worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- FREE Download: Top 18 Air Fryer Tips and get air fryer recipes delivered to your inbox every weekend!
Air Fryer Beef Jerky
- 1 pound flank steak sliced 1/8-inch thick and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon meat tenderizer
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Whisk together the soy sauce, worcestershire, liquid smoke, brown sugar, salt, pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Add meat to sauce and let marinate for about 8 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and pat meat dry with paper towels. Arrange meat in single layers in the air fryer using racks or skeweres to create layers. Air fry at 180°F/82°C for 45 minutes. Check it, then add 15-25 more minutes until it reaches your desired texture. Cook longer for more tough, chewy jerky. (60 minutes total was just about right for me.)
Recipe Adapted From: Allrecipes