How to Make Vegetarian Tacos in the Air Fryer: Easy and Inexpensive
Easy Vegetarian Black Beans Tacos Recipe in the Air Fryer
Ever since I started using my air fryer, I have loved how much quicker it takes to cook a healthy and delicious meal. I wanted to step up my meal planning and decided to start looking for recipes that are also inexpensive. With inflation happening like crazy, it is so important to me to find quick, easy, healthy, and cheap meals that I can make in the air fryer.
Today’s recipe checks all the boxes. This simple black bean taco recipe is packed with protein, only takes 20 minutes to make in the air fryer, needs only 7 ingredients, and costs roughly $1.25 per serving.
Keep reading to learn how to make this awesome vegetarian taco recipe in the air fryer!
What can you put in tacos instead of meat?
Meat is expensive, which is why opted for black beans instead of ground beef, ground turkey, or chicken (my usual taco protein favorites). However, if you aren’t a fan of black beans, there are several other ways you can make a vegetarian taco. For example, use chickpeas, cauliflower, kidney beans, mushrooms, quinoa, tofu, or lentils.
Learn more about taco meat substitutes from this article from Healthline.
The ingredients I am using for vegetarian tacos are pretty simple. The best part is that you can easily switch out any ingredients for your preferred favorites. For this spiced black bean taco recipe you will need:
- 1 can black beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 avocado
- 1 Roma tomato
- Corn tortillas
- Feta cheese, garnish to taste
- Lime juice from 1 lime, or to taste
Ingredient Substitution Ideas
I’ve already shared a few substitutes to the black beans (such as, chickpeas, cauliflower, kidney beans, mushrooms, quinoa, tofu, or lentils).
Instead of buying a taco seasoning packet (which is roughly 50 cents), you can make my favorite homemade taco seasoning mixture with
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Get the full homemade taco seasoning recipe.
Swap about the corn tortillas with your own personal favorite tortilla or tortilla chips. Or opt out of the tortillas, and eat the taco as a salad with spinach or a different green of your choice.
The avocado, tomato, and lime are used as toppings, you will find below some add-ons or other great taco topping ideas.
Tools You Need
I like to make black beans in the air fryer with a silicone pot or a cake barrel dish that came in my air fryer accessory kit. You can use any dish that is oven safe in the air fryer. You could also cook the black beans directly in the air fryer basket or crisper plate. I like to use a pot or dish because it makes remove the black beans from the air fryer way easier.
Cheap and Healthy Air Fryer Tacos
This recipe is so simple to make, especially in the air fryer. Here is how you make black bean spicy tacos.
Step 1. Preheat the air fryer
Start preheating the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees Celsius or 204 degrees Fahrenheit. You can have the cake barrel dish or the silicone pot in the air fryer basket or out of it. It does not matter.
Just be careful when you handle the food and dish if you are preheating the air fryer with the pot inside.
Step 2. Roast the garlic
While the air fryer preheats, mince 1 clove of garlic. Then, add the minced garlic to the pot or cake barrel. Spritz a little oil (avocado oil or olive oil) onto the garlic with a reusable oil sprayer. (Alternatively, you can poor a 1/2-1 teaspoon onto the garlic).
Roast the garlic in the air fryer for 2-4 minutes at 400 degrees F or 204 degrees C, or until you can start smelling the sautéed and roasted garlic.
Step 3. Cook the black beans
Once the garlic has started roasting, add the black beans to the dish. I like to slightly drain some of the black bean juices before adding it to the dish.
Roast the beans with the garlic and taco seasoning, be sure to stir everything together and layer the beans in a single layer, as best as possible.
Air fry for 8 minutes at 380 degrees F/193 degrees C. Stir at the halfway point and when there is two minutes left. Add any additional time that is needed until the beans are roasted and cooked to liking and a majority of the juices are gone.
Step 4. Enjoy
Carefully remove the pot of bean mixture from the air fryer basket. Serve the spiced and roasted beans with your favorite taco toppings.
What are good things to put in tacos?
There are so many different things you can put in a taco. I love to keep it simple with an avocado, tomato, and feta cheese. However, you can add tasty ingredient to your tacos. Here are a few of the best taco toppings-
- sautéed or roasted onions – red onions, yellow onions, or sweet onions
- pico de gallo or salsa
- veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, or summer squash
- fresh cilantro or parsley
- cotija cheese, cheddar cheese, Monterrey jack cheese (or your favorite vegan cheese if you want vegan tacos)
- rice – I love this cilantro lime rice recipe
Taco night has never been simpler thanks to this inexpensive, quick, and filling air fryer meal. I love that I can whip this recipe up for a simple lunch or tasty dinner. It is a winner for all taco lovers and so easy to make. When you pair this recipe with the best taco toppings like avocado, tomato, lime, and cilantro, nobody will know that they’re simply eating vegetarian black bean tacos!
More easy and inexpensive air fryer dinners
- Simple Cowboy Casserole Dinner in the Air Fryer
- The Easiest Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Avocado Toast Recipe
- 4 Ingredient Crescent Roll Meatball Dinner Recipe in the Air Fryer
Air fryer tips and tricks you need to know
- Air Fryer 101
- Learn these common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
- FREE Download → Air Fryer Tips & Temps
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- Watch Fabulessly Frugal YouTube Channel for Air Fryer Recipes
Get more of my favorite recipes in my Yummy Air Fryer Recipes Cookbook!
Spiced Black Bean Tacos in the Air Fryer (Cheap and Easy Vegetarian Taco Recipe)
- Cake barrel or silicone pot
- 1 can black beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning see my favorite homemade taco seasoning mix
- 1 avocado
- 1 roma tomato
- corn tortillas or any tortilla of your choice
- feta cheese garnish to taste
- 1 lime juice or to taste
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Mince the garlic. Spray the air fryer silicone pot or cake barrel with a little oil. Add the garlic and spray with oil. Roast the garlic for 2-3 minutes at 400 °F.
- Drain about half of the bean liquid from the can.
- Add the can of black beans to the silicone pot. Add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. Stir everything together with a silicone spatula. Make sure the beans are in a single layer in the silicone pot or cake barrel.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 380 °F. Stir at the halfway point and when there is two minutes left. Add any additional time that is needed until the beans are roasted and cooked to liking and a majority of the juices are gone.
- Dice the avocado and tomato.
- Layer the tortillas with beans, avocados, and tomatoes, feta cheese, and splash of lime juice. Enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From: Naturally Ella
Easy Air Fryer Lemon Donuts3 Comments