Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash
One of My Favorite Instant Pot Chicken Stew Recipes!
This may not be your typical stew, but I highly recommend you give it a try as soon as possible! You can add it to your list of tried and true chicken recipes!
The thing I love most about this instant pot chicken stew is that it’s thick and filling, but at the same time tastes fresh and light. Also, the butternut squash, tomatoes, and all of the other flavors and textures blend together wonderfully to create a delicious and healthy meal!
You can adapt the ingredients as you desire, but I wouldn’t change a thing! This butternut squash stew is perfect just as it is!
Chicken Butternut Squash Instant Pot Tips
With the chicken, you want to keep the pieces big enough that it is easy to remove them from the pot, but small enough that it doesn’t take too long to cook them. I usually just cut each chicken breast in half – easy peasy. (Check out how you can use a stand mixer to shred chicken once it is cooked.)
It speeds things up if you know how to peel and cut a butternut squash but you can also try using frozen cubed butternut squash. I just saw some at a store the other day and was thinking how easy this recipe would be with it!
How to Peel and Cut Butternut Squash
- Place the squash on its side and slice off both ends.
- Use a peeler to peel the squash.
- Cut the squash in half, where it looks like the neck ends and the body begins to curve out.
- To cut the neck end, cut the squash into rings as thick as you want your cubes to be, then slice the rings into long rectangles and then into cubes.
- To cut the body, cut the body in half lengthwise, exposing the seeds. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds and any stringy bits. Slice each half into strips and each strip into cubes.
Just so you know, one of my friends was very skeptical because she thinks she doesn’t like squash, but she tasted it anyway. And guess what, she really likes this stew! So thinking you don’t like squash or quinoa, doesn’t mean you won’t like this lovely stew. 😉
I love all of the beautiful colors and flavors in this stew! I hope you try it and love it too!
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and add the oil
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, oregano, garlic, and chicken (uncooked and diced)
- Saute, stirring often, until onions soften, about 5 minutes
- Add the broth, tomatoes, squash, and uncooked quinoa
- Cook for 5 minutes at high pressure, until squash is tender, chicken is cooked through, and quinoa is cooked
- Use Natural Pressure Release for 2-3 minutes, and then use a Quick Pressure Release
- Add salt and pepper, to taste
- Add spinach and stir for a minute or two, until wilted
- Serve warm
More Recipes with Quinoa
- Chicken Quinoa Soup with Poblano Chilies
- Turkey Quinoa Fajita Meatballs with Chile Cheese Sauce
- Sloppy Joe Quinoa Pitas
- Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Tabbouleh
- Banana Quinoa Waffles
- Easy Cheesy Quinoa Bites
More Recipes with Butternut Squash
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash (about 1 medium squash, peeled and seeded)
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion, oregano, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Add the broth, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and boil until it is cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. (If you are using large pieces of chicken, I recommend cutting each piece in half to help it cook faster.) Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, squash, and quinoa to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the squash is tender and the quinoa is cooked. If desired, mash up some of the squash pieces.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the pot. Stir in the salt and pepper. Add more to taste, if needed.
- Stir in the chopped fresh spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is wilted. Serve warm.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion, oregano, garlic, and chicken (uncooked and diced); saute, stirring often, until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Then add the broth, tomatoes, squash, and uncooked quinoa. Cook for 5 minutes at high pressure, until squash is tender, chicken is cooked through, and quinoa is cooked. Use Natural Pressure Release for 2-3 minutes, and then use a Quick Pressure Release. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add spinach and stir for a minute or two, until wilted. Serve warm.
Recipe Adapted From: Cookin' Canuck and Mel's Kitchen Cafe