Homemade Manwich Sloppy Joe Recipe
Delicious Homemade Manwich Recipe
This is the best sloppy joe recipe ever! First of all, it’s homemade, and we all know homemade is always better. On top of that, this recipe (although homemade) is still easy and quick to make. Plus, it freezes well too! It really is perfect.
Watch how easy it is to prepare this Sloppy Joes Recipe!
Homemade Manwich Sauce
This is not a sweet sloppy joe sauce, but it is not really spicy either. It does have a lot of tangy flavors though! My whole family really likes it! Apparently, a lot of other people like it too. Hence, you can buy Manwich at nearly every grocery store and it has been around for a while.
You can use fresh or frozen diced green peppers in this recipe. Most of the other ingredients are easy to keep in the pantry, like the dried seasonings and tomato sauce. Even the buns can be kept on hand in the freezer for a little while without drying out too much.
Celery seed may not be one that you already have in your pantry – I use it only for this recipe! Feel free to try the recipe without it. I have not made it without the celery seed before, but I’m guessing that it will still be delicious.
Once you’re finished with your homemade manwich sauce, simply add the sauce to your 1-pound of browned ground beef, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Your Homemade Manwich is Ready to Serve
Once you’ve got your manwich recipe all finished, you can either freeze it or serve it. If you’re going to serve it, try it with some nice toasted hamburger buns! Enjoy your fun, delicious, and messy dinner! (Don’t forget to let us know what you think about the recipe after you try it!)
To make this TERRAfit-friendly, use a low-sugar ketchup and serve with a whole grain bun, or eat it without a bun!
More of our Favorite Sloppy Joe Recipes
I love sloppy joes because they are easy to make and my family eats them up. All of the sloppy joe fillings freeze well too! So, here are some more of the sloppy joe recipes that we have posted over the years…
More Freezer Meal Recipes
- Freezer Meal eBook
- Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Freezer Chicken Enchiladas Recipe (So Easy)
- Keto Taco Bites Recipe
- Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Homemade Manwich Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sugar ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef, drain the fat. Add the sauce to the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with toasted hamburger buns.
Preparing For the Freezer:
- Store the sloppy joe filling in a gallon-size resealable freezer bag, or portion into smaller bags according to your needs. Label and date the bags, remove as much air as possible, and freeze flat. The buns may also be frozen.
Prepare after Freezing:
- Remove from freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or place frozen sloppy joe mixture directly into pan. Heat gradually in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through and serve.
Make this extra healthy by adding some cooked quinoa and skip the buns. Serve it over cooked carrots or squash instead!