Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
This is definitely my favorite chicken taquitos recipe!
It is super easy to make these baked chicken taquitos and everyone in my family loves them! They are also an excellent freezer meal. I like to double the recipe and freeze some for my own fam and take them to other families that could use a delicious, quick meal to stash in the freezer.
I’m guessing the ladies at Our Best Bites didn’t know this recipe would become one of their most popular recipes ever, but there’s good reason why! They really are so easy and so delicious!
First thing you need is some cooked chicken. It doesn’t matter how you cook it – pressure cooker, slow cooker, grill, stove top, etc. You’ll need about 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast to get about 2 cups shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken is a super easy option that tastes great too!
Then mix together the seasonings, salsa, cilantro, and green onions. A medium-large bowl works great so you can just keep adding the filling ingredients to that same bowl as you go.
Creamy, cheesy, chicken goodness.
Just so you know, some people get 12 taquitos from one batch, some people get 11. Of course, doubling the recipe is always a good idea because you can just freeze the extra filling or the rolled taquitos for later.
The ends of the chicken taquitos will start to turn golden brown when they are done baking. Try not to let them burn though! (Talking from past experience.) 😉
If you haven’t made these chicken taquitos yet, I strongly encourage you to give them a try! Enjoy!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 1/4 cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- 11 to 12 flour tortillas
- olive oil or cooking spray
- kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken, soft cream cheese, and shredded cheese; mix thoroughly. (This filling mixture can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen for later use.)
- (Refrigerated flour tortillas will roll better if they are warmed in the microwave first.) Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can and place seam-side-down on the baking sheet, not touching other taquitos. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone.
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt. (You can place the baking sheet in the freezer at this point. Once the taquitos are frozen through, transfer to a freezer bag and store in the freezer.)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crisp and ends are golden brown. (If cooking from frozen, bake for 20-25 minutes.)
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, Ranch dressing, or guacamole.
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites