Pumpkin Angel Food Cake Mix Recipe
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Ginger Cream Filling
A pumpkin angel food cake?! That’s probably not what you’d expect when you think of angel food cake, but this recipe is actually extremely tasty. The cake is light and fluffy, with a yummy hint of pumpkin and a ginger whipped cream filling.
I find this to be the perfect treat to serve during fall or during the holidays, but you could really have it whenever! One of my favorite things about this recipe is how easy and quick it is to make thanks to the box cake mix.
The ingredients for this pumpkin angel food cake are pretty simple. I already had everything in my pantry, except the whipping cream. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, try this homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe. It will work great!
Just toss all of the cake ingredients in a bowl and mix it up. Then, pour the pumpkin cake batter into your tube pan. By the way, if you’re in the market for a good tube cake pan, I highly recommend this Nordic Ware one.
Preparing for Filling
You’ll need to slice your pumpkin angel food cake in half so you can add the filling. Speaking of good products, my favorite bread knife made easy work of slicing the cake in half horizontally. I strongly recommend it. Or if you have an electric knife, that would probably work well too.
Adding the Ginger Whipped Cream
I decided to go ahead and spread the topping over the whole cake instead of just the top. It was pretty thin on the sides, but it worked and looked pretty. (I have the highly-rated 9-inch Wilton Angled Spatula for such tasks. Yet another wonderful item.)
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m guessing this pumpkin angel food cake would also be delicious with the whipped cream cheese frosting from this cake too. You can’t go wrong with the combination of pumpkin and cream cheese, right!?
More Pumpkin Recipes:
- 30 Pumpkin Recipes
- Fluffy Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes
- Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
- Soft Pumpkin Molasses Cookies
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Recipe from Betty Crocker.
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake Mix Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1 box white angel food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 cup cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, beat the cake ingredients with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 37-47 minutes, until crust is dark golden brown and cracks are dry. Immediately turn pan upside down onto a heatproof funnel or glass bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or long spatula. Turn cake upside down onto serving plate.
- Whisk the powdered sugar and ginger together. In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with a mixer on high speed until stiff. Cut the cake horizontally in half to make 2 layers. Spread half of the filling on bottom layer; replace top layer of cake. Spread remaining filling on top of cake. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
You can skip a step or two by just cutting the cake into slices and topping with the filling or topping with a frozen (thawed) whipped topping and garnishing with chopped crystallized ginger.