Simple Homemade Cheez-Its Recipe
Easy Homemade Cheez-Its Recipe
Did you know you can actually make your own homemade cheez-its? Seriously. It’s not too difficult either.
These homemade cheez-it crackers make for a great snack and it’s pretty cool actually making your own crackers instead of buying them at Walmart or another store. Definitely a fun experience!
Plus, since these are homemade they’re healthier, you’ll know exactly what’s going into them, and you can customize them however you like. You’ll also like that they are made with simple ingredients, no artificial colors or flavors, and no preservatives
I already had all of the ingredients I needed to make these homemade cheez-its. I was a little surprised myself at how simple it really is.
Mix the cheese, butter, 1 tsp of salt, and pepper together in a stand mixer until it starts to stick to the sides of the bowl. Then mix in the flour and cornstarch.
Add Some Water:
Add 2-3 Tbsp of water until dough ball forms. I needed 3.
Refrigerate Your Dough:
Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Roll Out Your Dough:
Prepare the oven and the pans, then roll the dough out to about 1/16 inch thickness. The homemade cheez-its will puff up while baking.
How to Cut Your Homemade Cheez-Its Out
I used the wavy edge of a ravioli cutter (you can use a pizza cutter too) to cut the dough into 1-inch squares. To make the hole in the middle of each cheez-it, use the blunt end of a skewer.
Transfer the cut dough to the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle on some salt and bake! I used a spatula to move them to the sheet and I let some bake while in a cluster.
With others, I separated each square for baking. The edges that are touching will not be quite as crispy as the squares that are separated.
More Finger Food Recipes:
- Cookies and Cream Popcorn (aka Oreo Popcorn)
- Little Caesar’s Crazy Bread Copycat Recipe
- Cheesy Zucchini Bites Recipe
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Meatballs Recipe
Simple Homemade Cheez-Its Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (3 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle beater, combine cheese, butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper until it starts to stick to the sides of the bowl, 1/2-1 minute.
- Add flour and cornstarch and mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix briefly until dough ball forms. Add another tablespoon of water, if needed.
- Transfer dough to floured counter and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough and place on a floured surface.Roll to 1/16 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1-inch squares using a beveled-edge ravioli cutter
- Use the blunt end of a skewer to poke a hole in the center of each square.
- Transfer to baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Bake until light golden around the edges, about 18 minutes, switching racks and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
- Let cool completely on baking sheets.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days (if they'll even last that long!).
Recipe Adapted From: America's Test Kitchen Feed