The Perfect Air Fryer Potato Skins Recipe
How to Cook Potato Skins in the Air Fryer?
Calling all my fellow potato lovers! Have you tried making potato skins in the air fryer? If not, then you just try this very flavorful recipe! This potato skin recipe in the air fryer comes together so easily. You can whip up this one in less than 15 minutes.
Enjoy these easy-peasy potato skins for a game-day, a fun side on Easter, or even just as a quick sack with your leftover baked potatoes.
Keep reading to learn how to make baked potato skins in the air fryer!
How to make tasty baked potato skins?
This recipe is amazing and quick! I love to serve baked potato skins with a spicy homemade ranch dressing. You will love air fryer baked potatoes with this spicy ranch dressing. Here’s what you need.
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Ranch seasoning mix, to taste
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, scallions, or chives
- Plus your other favorite toppings
And, bonus, these recipe ingredients are interchangeable so you can choose your most favorite baked potato fixing ingredients to make this recipe suits your style.
Other ways to make potato skins
For example, you can try a BBQ style potato skin, Southwest loaded potato skin, or even buffalo chicken potato skins. Just find the right seasonings, spices, and ingredients to fit the style, mood, and taste you are going for!
How to make baked potatoes
Before you can enjoy potato skins, you will first need to make a baked potato. There are many different ways to make a baked potato. I, of course, love to air fry potatoes. You can also make a bake a potato in the oven, microwave, instant pot, or even a crock pot.
Today, I will be sharing some tips for making a baked potato in the air fryer.
Air fryer baked potatoes – Quick 2 step instructions
Before you cook your potatoes, be sure to wash and dry the outside of the potato. You want the potato to be dry so that it cooks quicker in the air fryer. Also make sure you poke holes in the potato with a fork so air can flow.
Step 1: Parboil the potato (optional)
Sometimes when I am in a pinch for time I like to parboil the potato in the microwave before cooking it in the air fryer. This just helps it cook faster.
To parboil the potato, place the potatoes in the microwave and cook it for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Cook the potato in the air fryer
Rub a little oil and salt on the potatoes and place them in the air fryer basket. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 204 degrees Celsius.
However, if you didn’t parboil the potatoes, then cook them for 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 204 degrees Celsius.
Because all potatoes are different shapes and sizes and all air fryer makes and models are different, the cooking time for your potatoes may vary. Just keep an eye on your potatoes and test them with a fork. They will be done once you can easily insert the fork into the potato.
What are potato skins
Air fryer potato skins are so easy to make. They are a quick and easy appetizer or side dish. To make air fryer potato skins, I first like to make sure that my potatoes have cooled down.
Then, slice each potato in half and use a spoon to scoop out the inner flesh, or inside of the potato.
Note: I like to keep about a 1/4th of an inch of the potato flesh. You will want to reserve some of the potato base so that the potato can easily hold potato toppings or fixings.
How to assemble potato skins
Once you have the flesh carved out, spray the sides of the potatoes with some avocado oil. You can use a different oil like olive oil (or any high smoke point oil), if you don’t have avocado oil.
Next, season the potato with salt, ranch seasoning, or any of your favorite seasonings. After this, top each potato with some crumbled bacon and shredded cheese (any cheese flavor that you love, I love cheddar cheese with this recipe).
How to cook potato skins
Air fryer potato skins are ready in the air fryer in under 15 minutes. Place the potato skins in a lightly sprayed air fryer basket or on top of parchment paper. Cook the potatoes for 6-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius, or until the cheese has melted.
Note: the cook time will mostly depend on how melted you want your cheese. Keep an eye on your potato skins and pull them out of the air fryer when needed and desired!
How to serve potato skins
You can enjoy potato skins with any of your favorite potato bar toppings or fixings. For example, sprinkle on some green onions and top it with sour cream, more cheddar cheese, or even a chili topping. But you will most love this recipe with a homemade spicy ranch dressing. Keep reading to know how make this easy 4 ingredient spicy ranch dressing.
Amazing Spicy Ranch Dressing (Optional)
This recipe is so easy to make! You only need 4 ingredients and it taste AMAZING with potato skins. To make homemade spicy ranch dressing, stir to combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with a 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/2 packet ranch dressing mix (1-1.5 tablespoons), and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder.
Potato skins in the air fryer are such a fun idea for a ball game, Easter, New Year’s Eve party, or even just as an afternoon snack. Pair these potato skins with a protein like chili beans to make it lunch or dinner. Or serve it as the side to some tasty homemade hamburgers!
You will love this recipe anytime of the year! Share with us in the comments below when you will be serving these tasty
More potato recipes for the air fryer
- Easy Air Fryer Melting Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- The Best Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- The Easiest Roasted Ranch Potatoes Recipe in the Air Fryer
- Make These Tasty Homemade Tater Tots in the Air Fryer
How to use an air fryer
- Air Fryer 101
- Learn these common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
- FREE Download → Air Fryer Tips & Temps
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- Watch Fabulessly Frugal YouTube Channel for Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Potato Skins with Homemade Spicy Ranch Dressing
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil, divided
- ranch seasoning mix to taste
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or favorite cheese topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or scallions, or chives
Spicy Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Wash and scrub the potatoes with water to clean them. Then, pat them dry.
- Place each potato in the air fryer basket. Rub or spray each of the potatoes with avocado oil or olive oil (about 1/2 tablespoon). Air fry for 35-45 minutes at 400°F/204°C, or until soft. You can test by piercing the potato with a fork. OR parboil the potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes. Rub and spray them with oil. Then, cook them in the air fryer for 20 minutes at 400°F/204°C, or until soft.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and cool completely (for about 20-30 minutes).
- Slice each potato in half. Use a spoon and scoop out the inside of the potato. Reserve 1/4th of an inch of the flesh along the bottom and sides of the potato. You want each skin to still have a base to hold the toppings.
- Drizzle or spray the inside of the potatoes with avocado oil or olive oil (if drizzling about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons total). And then, season with salt, ranch seasoning, or your favorite seasoning.
- Top each potato with the crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the skins in the air fryer and cook for 6-10 minutes at 350°F/175°C, or until the cheese has melted. The cook time will vary based on how you like your melted cheese. Just keep an eye on your potatoes.
- Top with green onions, spicy ranch dressing, and any other of your favorite potato toppings.
Spicy Ranch Dressing
- Stir to combine ingredients together in a bowl.
Recipe Adapted From: Stay Snatched