Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
The Best Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
This baked sweet and sour chicken seriously tastes like something you would buy at a restaurant. Everyone in my family loves it! It is also a great meal to serve for guests because it is impressively delicious!
Now, while this recipe is easy to make, there is some prep and cook time involved, so plan ahead accordingly. (It is worth it!)
Getting the Chicken Ready
Cut up the chicken and season with salt and pepper. This is about 2 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast. I fed my small family and guests, plus had some leftover, so feel free to cut the recipe in half for smaller groups
To cut this recipe in half – use two eggs, the other ingredients should be pretty easy to adjust measurements, and cook it in one 9×13 baking dish.
Cooking the Chicken
Get your apron on and be careful with the hot oil! I take a big handful of the coated chicken pieces and drop them into the egg. Then I double-fist it – turning the pieces in the egg to coat and then transferring them into the skillet with both hands.
I end up doing 5 batches in the skillet when I do 2 1/2 pounds of chicken. I can only get so many pieces coated and in the skillet before they are ready to flip and finish cooking! The chicken only takes a minute or so (flipping halfway) to cook to golden.
Making the Sauce
The sauce is super easy and flavorful – sugar, ketchup, vinegar (apple cider or rice), low sodium soy sauce, and garlic salt.
Baking the Chicken
Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and it is ready to bake! I wish it didn’t take so long to bake, but as I said before – it is worth it.
Note: even if you cut the recipe in half, you will still want to bake it for about an hour.
I like to serve this baked sweet and sour chicken over Jasmine rice, you could also try this homemade rice-a-roni. Enjoy!
A few of my favorite kitchen items are helpful with this recipe! Check them out here:
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Cream Cheese Chicken Crescent Roll Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash
- Chili’s Cajun Chicken Pasta Copycat Recipe
- Quick Keto Chicken Recipe with Bacon and Ranch
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Recipe
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- 9x13-inch pan
- 8x8 pan
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 scant cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup canola coconut, or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C. Lightly coat a 9x13 and 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- Cut the boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a gallon-sized resealable bag with the cornstarch, seal bag, and toss to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish (a glass pie plate works well), then take a large handful and dip each chicken piece in the egg. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot and rippling. Fry coated chicken pieces in the hot oil. You will need to do one single-layer amount of chicken at a time, so it ends up being about 5 batches. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side until golden, but not cooked through. Place the chicken pieces on a paper towel-lined plate; then transfer chicken to a prepared baking dish in a shallow layer. You may need to add and heat another 1/4 cup of oil about halfway through.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake for about 1 hour, turning chicken three times while cooking so it is evenly coated with the sauce. Serve over rice.
Recipe Adapted From: Mel's Kitchen Cafe