Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
I love this chocolate zucchini bread recipe!
It really is the best chocolate zucchini bread. I also love spring and summer! The sun is out, you can usually spend more time outside, and plants are green and growing, including the garden! I just snagged a couple beautiful zucchini from my garden this week. And so, it is time for delicious zucchini bread!
Whenever I get a good size zucchini, this chocolate zucchini bread is a must-make recipe. I’ve made some pretty delicious things with zucchini through the years, but I think my favorite zucchini recipes right now are this chocolate zucchini bread, zucchini brownies, and grilled zucchini with lemon salt. Yum!
See more of our favorite zucchini recipes!
This recipe is so perfect. The zucchini bread tastes so good with a tender, moist texture. Thanks to the sour cream and zucchini! And the chocolate flavor is everything you want it to be. All topped off with a yummy sugar crackled top.
Some zucchini can end up being more wet than others. If your shredded zucchini seems to have a lot of liquid, gently press it out through a strainer over the sink. But there’s no need to exert yourself in removing all of the moisture from it! In fact, most of the time I can just grate the fresh zucchini and add it right into the batter because there isn’t usually much excess liquid.
I use two 1-pound loaf pans for this recipe. The dimensions of each pan is 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ x 2 3/4″. Other size loaf pans will work as well, but may slightly affect the baking time and appearance of the loaf.
You can make this chocolate zucchini batter into muffins too! Just pour the batter into lined muffin tins and bake for a much shorter time, try about 12 minutes or so. Mini loaf pans are a great option as well, especially if you want to give some away!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs, about 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.
- If shredded zucchini is especially wet, place it in a strainer and gently press out excess liquid. Then stir the zucchini into the batter.
- Stir a spoonful of the flour mixture in with the mini chocolate chips. Then add the rest of the flour mixture to the batter and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into the two prepared pans. Sprinkle topping over each.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, not goopy batter. Let the bread cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pans.
Recipe Source: Our Best Bites