Chocolate Zucchini Bread
I love the summertime. One of the best things about summer is harvesting the bounty from the garden. If you grow zucchini in your garden you always get so much zucchini! One of my favorite things to make out of zucchini is zucchini bread. My favorite zucchini bread is my great grandma’s recipe. My great grandmother was amazing. In 1920 when she was an 18 year old new bride her husband ran a big farm with more than 20 workers and she baked 24 loaves of bread a day. Plus she made three meals a day with dessert and kept the household clean. So this woman knew how to cook! I have had her recipe since I was a college student but I just recently read her life sketch. It was so inspiring. I am so glad that I have a little piece of her cooking to bring into my own home.
For this Chocolate Zucchini bread recipe I have modified my grandma’s recipe to make it chocolate.
3 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 Cup canola oil
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 Cups shredded zucchini
1/2 Cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T brown sugar
2 T white sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside.
Mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
In a mixer beat together oil, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Stir in zucchini.
Stir in flour mixture to the batter and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Put batter into the two pans. Sprinkle topping on top of the bread.
Bake 325 degrees 50-60 minutes.
Let zucchini bread cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pans.
This recipe was inspired by my friend Becca, my grandma and OurBestBites.
Norpro Nonstick Bread Pans come in 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. Perfect for making bread!
Find MORE Zucchini Recipes!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 Cup flour
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup canola oil
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 3 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T white sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside.
- Mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a mixer beat together oil, white sugar, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.Stir in zucchini.
- Stir in flour mixture to the batter and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Put batter into the two pans. Sprinkle topping on top of the bread.
- Bake 350 degrees 50-60 minutes.
- Let zucchini bread cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pans.