Chewy Almond Butter Cookies Recipe
Chewy Almond Butter Cookies with Flour
These Almond Butter Cookies are a sweet alternative to peanut butter cookies. The peanut ingredients are just swapped for almond ones. The results are pretty different though, with the sweet almond flavor stealing the show! Everyone loves them! Plus, this almond butter cookie recipe is a lower-fat, healthier version.
Almond Butter Cookie Ingredients
There are only 9 ingredients needed to make these almond butter cookies, and most of them you’ll probably already have on hand.
For the almond butter, you can buy it at almost any grocery store or you can make your own almond butter. I have used chopped raw slivered almonds several times, but it would also be good with salted dry-roasted almond pieces.
Baking the Almond Butter Cookies
Once your cookie dough is made it’s time to put your almond butter cookies onto a baking sheet and get them in the oven so you can eat them! Use a heaping tablespoon of dough (or a cookie scoop), roll it into a ball and space them about 2 1/2 inches apart.
Once you’ve filled your baking sheet, gently flatten the balls to about 3/4-inch thickness. Be careful not to over-flatten them.
As you bake your cookies, you’ll want the edges to be a nice crispy golden brown, but the centers should stay soft and puffy. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the cooking time.
You can freeze the dough for these cookies and bake them up later. Simply roll the dough into balls and freeze them on a baking sheet. Once they’re frozen, transfer the balls to a large resealable freezer bag.
To bake from frozen, increase the baking time to 14-17 minutes.
There isn’t much to tell you other than to enjoy these delicious almond butter cookies! If you’re anything like me, once they’re gone you’ll find yourself wishing you had more.
If you’d like, you can put some almond slices on the cookies for some added flavor and presentation. Enjoy!
More Cookie Recipes:
- Double Chocolate Butter Cookies
- Healthier Chocolate No Bake Cookies Recipe
- The Best Chocolate Cookies Recipe Ever
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook.
Chewy Almond Butter Cookies Recipe
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, egg, and vanilla together.
- Stir in the sugar and almond butter until smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture and almonds until combined.
- Working with 1 heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, roll the dough in to balls and lay them on the prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Gently flatten the balls to about 3/4-inch thickness, but don't over-flatten.
- Bake one sheet at a time, until edges are set and beginning to brown but centers are still soft and puffy, 9-12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for about 2 days (low-fat cookies stale quickly).
- The dough can be shaped into balls and frozen on a baking sheet.
- Once frozen, transfer to a large resealable bag.
- To bake, arrange frozen cookies on baking sheets and bake as directed, increasing the baking time to 14-17 minutes.