The Best Chocolate Cookies Recipe
When only the best triple chocolate cookie will do…
These are the best chocolate cookies that I have ever tasted. Period. When I say “the best” about these cookies, I am not exaggerating. And I’m not the only one that thinks so. I have fed these decadent cookies to friends and family and we all agree!
For the semi-sweet chocolate, you will only want to use chocolate chips if the ingredients are up to par. Not all chocolate chips are created equally. Otherwise, chocolate baking bars work well.
The Guittard brand of semi-sweet chocolate chips are an example of ones that work for this recipe. The ingredients are sugar, cacao beans, cocoa butter, sunflower lecithin, and vanilla. The Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bar ingredients are: sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lecithin, and vanilla. Pretty similar. So for the best results in the chocolate that is melted and added to the batter, stick with something similar to the ingredients above.
I prefer to use half natural unsweetened cocoa and half Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa in this recipe. Both types reside in my pantry anyway, since I like to use them in these no bake chocolate cookies. If you have to choose one, the recipe calls for Dutch-processed cocoa, so I’d go with that.
Now, these triple chocolate cookies are not the fastest, easiest, healthiest, or cheapest to make. But they are the most delicious. So, if you’re looking for the most delicious, then think of it as saving time and money by just going with this recipe and not having to keep trying others. 😉
Part of why these moist, rich cookies are so decadent is because there is more chocolate than there is flour! We’ve got cocoa, a pound of semi-sweet chocolate, and chocolate chips going on in there!
Letting the dough sit covered at room temperature seems weird, but it helps provide a more fudgy consistency. Worth it. Just plan ahead to have time for it.
I use my cookie scoop to get a heaping tablespoon of dough, then use my hands to roll it into a ball. Works great!
These cookies freeze well too. I actually almost prefer to eat them straight from the freezer!
The Best Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) Guittard semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups pack (10 1/2 ounce) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Microwave 1 pound of semisweet chocolate at 50 percent power for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate and continue heating until melted, stirring once every additional minute; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together at medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add egg mixture; mix until combined. Add melted chocolate in a steady stream and mix until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Still on low speed, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over beat. With a rubber spatula, fold the remaining chocolate chips into the dough. Cover bowl of dough with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Working with a heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, roll into balls and place 1 dozen on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges have just begun to set, but centers are still very soft, about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
Recipe Adapted From: The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook