Air Fryer Juicy Roast Beef and Tender Vegetables
Juicy Roast Beef and Tender Vegetables in the Air Fryer
You probably already know that I think the air fryer is a fantastic addition to your kitchen. But one common complaint is that you can’t cook an entire meal in it. Today, I’m going to cast all those doubts to the side. This Air Fryer Roast Beef with Potatoes, Carrots, and Onions is not only easy and tastes so great, it’s sooo adaptable! Not a fan of carrots? Omit them or replace them with a different vegetable!
Keep reading to learn how to make any dinner in your air fryer like this roast beef or cook along with me in this video!
4 Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Roast Beef
You are going to be surprised with how easy this recipe is! You will need to keep an eye on your roast, but for the most-part it’s a hand-frees, easy-peasy recipe!
For best results with your air fryer roast, you will want to purchase a nice cut of beef that is dark red and has nice marbling. Get a roast around 2-3 pounds so it will fit nicely in your air fryer (if you can’t easily find one, you can ask your butcher to cut you one that size).
For an air fryer roast, I do NOT recommend the cheaper chuck roast or shoulder roast, as they will turn out more tough. Instead, opt for a tri-tip roast. It’s a little more expensive per pound, but so worth it!
After you pick out the perfect roast, there are some key things you need to do to prep your roast beef for the air fryer
- Temper your meat. Pat your meat dry with some paper towels and let it sit out for about 30 minutes to an hour (depending on size). This will help it cook more evenly.
- Prepare your spices. You can choose any of your favorite spices for this recipe- fresh or dry. I LOVED using a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Liberally salt your roast. After you oil your roast and before you add your spices, liberally salt your roast with more salt than you think is necessary. It may seem like a lot, but trust me, it will enhance the delicious flavors of your beef.
- Preheat your air fryer. Once your roast is prepped for the air fryer, be sure that you preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C for 5 minutes before cooking.
How to Make an Entire Meal in the Air Fryer
The roast is just one part of your meal. Now its time to make your vegetables. While your roast cooks for the first round (see recipe below for cooking temp and time), prepare your vegetables for the air fryer.
What I love about this recipe is that you can change it up easy-peasy! The veggies I chose with my roast were Yukon gold potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), one yellow onion, and a 2 whole carrots.
In order to have tender and delicious vegetables, you want to make sure you do these 3 things:
- make sure your veggies are similar in size as you chop them
- pat veggies dry with a paper towel after chopping
- spray them with a little bit of oil (I recommend avocado oil – see why here: Top Air Fryer Mistakes)
One More Important Note About Cooking Roast Beef in the Air Fryer
If you want perfectly juicy roast beef, you need to watch the internal temperature of your meat with an instant read thermometer. This will help you decide how long to cook your meat for because every air fryer model varies in cooking temperature and time. Check out my awesome printable of all the internal temps you need for cooking and baking!
If you are ever unsure about your cooking temp and time, I recommend decreasing temperature by 10-25 degrees and reducing cooking time by 25%-50%. Then you can always add more time or crank up the heat. Its better to have under cooked food because its an easy fix… but overcooked food, there is nothing you can do about that!
Finally, once your meat reaches the internal temp of 145°F/62°C, take it out and tent it in tin foil for 10 minutes.
At this point in time, if I want my veggies cooked more, I can crank up the heat and blast them for 5-10 minutes while the roast rests.
Whenever you want to treat your family to a delicious meal, I highly recommend you try this easy roast beef and vegetables in the air fryer. Everyone will think you spent all day on it, but you will like have it done from start to finish, in less than an hour!
I can’t wait to hear how this complete, flavorful, and nutritious meal went for you! Tell me about it in the comments below!
Did you know you can also make these amazing recipes in your air fryer?
- The Best Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Perfect Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic Marinade
- Air Fryer Steak – Perfect Every Time
Don’t make the same air fryer mistakes that I have! Read everything that you need to know about your air fryer:
Air Fryer Juicy Roast Beef and Tender Vegetables
- 3 pound roast or smaller See note
- 1.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 yellow onion cut into 1/8th
- 12 oz Baby carrots or 3 whole carrots
- Oil of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Take meat out of the package, pat dry, and temper the meat for 30 minutes.
- While the meat tempers, prep your spices/seasoning. I did fresh rosemary and thyme. You can use dry spices or any other spices of your choice.
- Once the meat has tempered, take off any excess fat. Then rub a little bit of oil into your meat. You don’t need a lot here, just enough to lightly cover the outside. The oil will help the outside brown and the spices adhere to the meat.
- Liberally salt the meat and rub it in. Do a little more than you think is necessary.
- Season the meat with spices and pepper. Then rub it in.
- Let your meat sit while the air fryer preheats at 400°F/200°C for 5 minutes.
- Place meat in air fryer basket. Tuck any smaller ends of the roast into itself so that it cooks evenly. Cook at 400°F/200°C for 10-12 minutes.
- While the meat cooks, prepare the vegetables.
- For the potatoes: wash, dry, and cut into equal sized cubes. About 1 inch thick, but you can make them as big or as small as you want. Either directly spray with oil and salt on your cutting board or toss in a bowl with oil and salt.
- For the carrots: If using whole carrots, cut into equal bite-sized pieces. Wash, and pat dry.
- For the onions: cut into eighths. Combine with carrots and spray with oil, salt, and mix together.
- When the roast finishes, flip the roast, then cover with the potatoes, onions, and carrots. Cook for 20 minutes at 360°F/180°C.
- At the halfway point (10 minutes), check on the roast with an instant read food thermometer. You want the roast to register at 145°F/62°C. Take the roast out of the air fryer basket, stir the vegetables, Flip the roast, and finish cooking for the last 10 minutes.
- If your meat hasn’t registered at 145°F/62°C after 20 minutes, stir the vegetables, flip the roast and cook for an additional 5 minutes at 360°F/180°C.
- Repeat last step until roast reaches 145°F/62°C.
- Once roast is cooked through, tent the roast in foil for 10 minutes.
Recipe Adapted From: Love Food Not Cooking