The Best Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Did you know you can make chicken in the air fryer? Perhaps you have already tried this perfect chicken breast recipe in the air fryer, but have you ever made a whole chicken in the air fryer? Today, I am so excited to share with you Air Fryer Whole Chicken! You will love this one because the chicken is so tender and juicy! Plus, buying whole chicken is incredibly cheaper than buying chicken breasts. I had about a 4 pound chicken and it fit perfectly in my air fryer. And, this chicken tastes so much better than buying a rotisserie chicken at the store.
How to Make a Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
Not only does this chicken taste amazing, but it’s also so easy to make in the air fryer! All you need is a select variety of seasonings and a 4 pound chicken. The seasoning mix I used was:
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp basil
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
Feel free to experiment with the seasonings! You will also need an oil of your choice to rub over your chicken. I used avocado oil, and only needed about 1-1 ½ teaspoons of avocado oil.
Helpful Tips for the Best Whole Chicken
I love this recipe because it is so flexible! However, you do need to keep an eye on the chicken because every air fryer model is different, so your cooking time and temperature may vary.
But here’s where you do have your flexibility:
- For this chicken, you can either tie the legs together or not, it’s up to you!
- This recipe suggests that you start with the breast side down, and then after 40 minutes flip the chicken breast side up. However, if you mix it up, don’t worry!
- For the cooking time, cook the chicken on one side for 30-40 minutes, and then flip it and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes. Using your instant read thermometer, make sure your chicken reads about 165˚F.
- Finish the process by tenting your chicken in tin foil for about 10 minutes before eating
You will enjoy this recipe with some air fryer asparagus or these buttermilk mashed potatoes. I hope you fall in love with this air fryer whole chicken as much as I have! I love how simple this recipe is, not to mention the easy cleanup! The chicken is perfectly juicy and nice. And depending on the crowd you are feeding, you may even have leftovers.
If you loved how easy this recipe was, then you’ll enjoy making whole chicken in the instant pot!
Try more of my favorite air fryer chicken recipes:
- Tasty Air Fryer Chicken and Veggies with Balsamic Marinade
- The Easiest Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Quick & Easy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Learn more about your air fryer with these awesome guides:
- How to Deep Clean Your Air Fryer in 5 Easy Steps
- The Best Air Fryer Accessories and What To Do With Them
- The Top 12 Air Fryer Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
The Best Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Preheat the air fryer at 400˚F/204˚C for 5 min
- Remove and discard the giblets, then rinse and pat chicken dry
- Massage oil all over the chicken
- Rub seasoning mix all over the chicken, and tie legs together if desired.
- Place the chicken in air fryer basket, cook at 350˚F/177˚C for 40 minutes
- Using tongs, flip the chicken breast side up and air fry at 350˚F/177˚C for an additional 25 minutes.
- Tent the chicken in tin foil for about 10 minutes before eating
Recipe Source: Recipe Teacher