The best lemon brownies (aka Lemonies) lemon dessert recipe!
There’s something about Spring that makes me want more lemon flavor in my life, especially a good lemon dessert recipe! Bright, fresh, and delicious! The texture of the lemonies is what will make you think of brownies when you eat them. They are dense and slightly chewy, just like a good brownie, but full of sweet lemon flavor.
Of course, I’m not opposed to eating lemon treats year-round. If it isn’t Spring and you are wanting to make these, by all means, go ahead…and you can bring me a plate of them too, while you’re at it! 😉
Feel free to make only half of this lemon dessert recipe for an 8×8 pan. The 9×13 pan size (as the recipe is written) is nice for larger groups, if you want to share with friends or neighbors, or if you just want to have some leftover. Yes, please! Leftovers are especially delicious chilled, straight from the fridge.
I like just a thin layer of the sweet, lemon glaze, so it doesn’t overpower the brownie, but still compliments it well. A beautiful partnership.
As noted in the recipe, you will probably need between 4 and 6 lemons to get all of the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest needed for the batter and the glaze. This is my favorite zester, in case you’re looking for a good one!
If you love lemon dessert recipes, then I’m sure you will love these lemonies! Enjoy!
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes? Subscribe to our recipe email.
- 9x13-inch pan
- Large bowl
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 10 ounces
- 1 ½ cups sugar 11 ounces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup butter melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar 5.5 ounces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and allow foil to hang over the edges to form a sling. Lightly coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the butter, eggs, egg yolks, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs, and the top of the brownies springs back lightly when gently pressed. Don't overbake or they will be dry.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth and combined.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan, then drizzle the glaze over the top and use an offset spatula to spread evenly. Place the bars in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to let the glaze set before lifting them from the pan, using the foil as a sling. Cut into small squares and serve. (These are best chilled, but can also be served at room temperature.)
Recipe Adapted From: Mel's Kitchen Cafe