Quinoa Salad Recipe
The Best Quinoa Salad Recipe
I am a big fan of Quinoa and one of my favorite ways to use it is in a Quinoa salad recipe. We already know that quinoa is a healthy super food so I am always on the lookout for new recipes and ways to use it. This is my latest creation adapted from Clean Eating Magazine. I did cut out a few steps from the original version to make it quicker and easier to prepare. This is also a very versatile recipe so you can change up the beans or veggies to whatever your family likes or you have on hand. You may have seen me mention before that some of my family members have food sensitivity to red onion so I often will omit it or swap to a yellow or white onion instead. I personally am a huge fan of black beans, as is most of my family, so when I make this for home I always use those, but kidney beans are also super yummy if that is what your family prefers or what you happen to have on hand. You can even toss in a few diced up jalapenos for some added spice. Remember, you can take out the seeds to decrease the heat or leave them in if you love spice as much as we do! One of my favorite additions is to use diced bell peppers to give this salad some additional crunch and color which I love. Any of the bell pepper colors will work, but I love adding orange to give it another color. There’s nothing quite as amazing as a meal that looks beautiful and tastes just as fresh and delicious!
Recipe adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
Find more Quinoa Recipes
Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp southwest seasoning
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 plum/small tomato
- 1 zucchini or yellow zucchini squash, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt & pepper, and southwest seasoning; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add quinoa and cumin.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and let cook for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn kernels beans, tomato, zucchini and onion.
- Pour lemon cilantro dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate salad for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld, or up to 2 days.
Recipe Adapted From: Clean Eating Magazine