The Best Overnight Breakfast Casserole in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Breakfast Croissant Casserole
Today’s air fryer recipe is so tasty and delicious. I made this recipe with my viewer’s during one of my live videos and it was so much fun. You will be so impressed with how quick this air fryer recipe comes together. And, you will love how nicely the crumbly bacon and cheese pair with the flaky croissants.
This recipe is a hit! You can keep reading to learn some helpful tips and tricks when making this breakfast croissant in the air fryer or you can follow along while I make this recipe in this YouTube video.
Creamy and Delicious Breakfast Croissant Recipe Ingredients
I love this recipe because you need less than 10 ingredients to whip it up in the air fryer. For this recipe, you need:
- 2 large croissants (about 170 grams)
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons shallot or yellow onion, diced
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup shredded cheese, your favorite kind of cheese
What type of croissants should I use?
When I made this recipe I used the large croissants from Costco. Because the croissants are so big, I only needed two croissants. Of course, you can use any type of croissants. But you will want a total of 170 grams of croissants.
Do I need to use stale croissants?
This recipe will work best if the croissants are a day or two old. But, it can still work if you want to make this recipe sooner.
Can I dry out croissants in the air fryer?
It is okay if the croissants aren’t totally stale, because you will dry them out in the air fryer. To dry out the croissants and slightly bake them, cut the croissants in half lengthwise and place them face up in the air fryer basket. Toast the croissants for 3-4 minutes at 330˚F/165˚C.
What is the toast preset button on my air fryer?
Some air fryer makes and models have different presets such as toast, bake, or air fry. If your air fryer doesn’t have this, you can still toast things in the air fryer. It is only a preset button, which means it makes it easy and convenient for you to cook something in the air fryer. It doesn’t actually change anything about the actual air fryer cooking process.
If you have a Cosori air fryer like myself, your air fryer doesn’t have the toast setting. That is okay, you can still cook the croissant at 3-4 minutes at 330˚F/165˚C.
If your air fryer has a toast setting, you can go ahead and press it. Just make sure that the temperature is at 330˚F/165˚C and that you could it for 3-4 minutes, or until the croissant is slightly dried out and toasted to a light golden brown.
How Do I Cook Bacon in the Air Fryer?
I love to make bacon in the air fryer because it is so simple and hands free! First, rip up a slice of bread and place it at the bottom of the air fryer basket. This helps absorb the excess grease so that the air fryer won’t start smoking.
Next, place the 4 slices of bacon in the air fryer basket, it is okay if they slightly overlap. Cook the bacon at 380˚F/193˚C for about 10 minutes, or until bacon reaches desired crispiness.
What are shallots?
This recipe calls for shallots. Shallots are in the onion family. If you don’t have shallots on-hand, you can substitute the shallots with a yellow onion.
If you don’t have a yellow onion, a red onion will also work. However, the flavor will be a little more sharp if you use a red onion.
Can I sauté onions in the air fryer?
Yes, you can! I have this great recipe for making onions and peppers in the air fryer. But for this recipe, to sauté or cook the onions in the air fryer, add them in with the bacon halfway through cooking. Open the air fryer basket, add in the shallots or yellow onions. Continue cooking for the rest 4-5 minutes to bake the bacon and sauté the shallots. Once finished, remove the air fryer and let the bacon cool slightly before chopping.
Can I Make a Casserole in the Air Fryer?
To finish making the rest of this breakfast casserole, mix together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper in a medium to large bowl. Then you will add the wet ingredients to the croissants.
What type of dish should I use to make a casserole in the air fryer?
When you are baking casseroles in the air fryer, you can use any dish that is oven safe. There are also dishes that are made for the air fryer, like this 7-inch cake barrel pan (it fits great in my 5.8qt Cosori Air Fryer).
Air Fryer Breakfast Casserole
Take your lightly greased air fryer safe dish, and layer the croissants inside. Next, add the chopped bacon and shallots. Then, layer on the shredded cheese. After, pour the egg/milk mixture over the top and make sure it is completely covering all the croissants.
Finally, cover the pan with foil and let it sit in the fridge anywhere from 4-12 hours.
How long do I cook a casserole in the air fryer?
When you are ready to cook your casserole in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 400˚F/200˚C for 5 minutes.
Air Fryer Pro Tip: Leave the dish covered with foil when you start cooking. This will make it so the top won’t burn.
Place the dish in the preheated air fryer. Air fry at 350˚F/175˚C for 30-40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 185˚F/196.1˚C. Remove the foil during the last 5-10 minutes to toast the top of the casserole.
This recipe comes together so easily! I love the strong flavors of the onion, cheese, and bacon mixed in with croissant. It is a fantastic recipe that everyone loves! Share with us in the comments below how this recipe went for you. Did you add any other tasty ingredients to your breakfast casserole?
More air fryer breakfast recipes
- Simple Air Fryer Breakfast Bomb
- Our Favorite Monkey Bread Recipe in the Air Fryer!
- Air Fryer Crustless Quiche
- How to Make Granola in the Air Fryer
Air fryer pro-tips you don’t want to miss!
- Common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
Overnight Air Fryer Breakfast Croissant Casserole
- 2 large croissants about 170 grams total
- 4 bacon slices
- 3 tablespoons shallots or yellow onion
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup shredded cheese your favorite kind of cheese
- Toast the croissants. Cut the croissants in half lengthwise and lightly mist with oil. Place in the air fryer basket and toast the croissants for 3-4 minutes at 330˚F/165˚C. Remove the croissants from the air fryer basket once they are finished and tear or cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the bacon. Place the bacon slices in the air fryer basket with a slice of bread beneath the basket. Cook at 380˚F/190˚C for 8-10 min. Halfway through, open the air fryer and add in the shallots or red onions. Continue cooking to bake the bacon and sauté the shallots. Once finished, remove the air fryer and let the bacon cool slightly before chopping.
- Make the wet mixture. In a medium to large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Combine and rest. Layer the croissants in a lightly greased air fryer cake barrel pan. (I used a 7" pan). Add the chopped bacon and shallots, then layer on the shredded cheese. Pour the egg/milk mixture over the top and make sure it is covering all the croissants. Cover the pan with foil and let it sit in the fridge anywhere from 4-12 hours.
- Cook in the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400˚F/200˚C for 5 minutes. Leave the dish covered and place it in the preheated air fryer. Air fry at 350˚F/175˚C for 30-40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 185˚F/196.1˚C. Remove the foil the last 5-10 minutes to toast the top of the casserole.