Air Fryer Chicken Katsu (with Homemade Katsu Sauce)
Spice your usual chicken dinner recipe with this Air Fryer Chicken Katsu with a homemade katsu sauce.
It combines the delicious spicy sriracha with hot sauce mixed with brown sugar and a few other key ingredients to make up a delicious katsu sauce for your chicken thighs.
Since most of what you need you will be able to find in your kitchen already, it makes it easy to whip this dinner up for the whole family to enjoy.
There are even more great chicken recipes like this on our website too!
Ingredients and Supplies You’ll Need to Make Air Fryer Chicken Katsu (with Homemade Katsu Sauce):
- Chicken thighs
- Eggs with a little water, whisked
- Salt, to taste
- Avocado oil (in a sprayer)
- Soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Garlic powder
Why Panko Crumbs?
Panko crumbs are a great way to get those deliciously flaky outsides without making the crust too thick. However, if you don’t have any panko crumbs, you can substitute them for plain bread crumbs.
Other sauce options
Obviously, this recipe is meant to use the katsu sauce with the chicken and above is a great homemade sauce.
However, if you don’t have the time or energy to make the homemade sauce (don’t worry I’ve been there) then you can always buy the katsu sauce too at the local grocery store or online.
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Katsu (with Homemade Katsu Sauce):
Step 1: Prep the chicken
Start by patting the chicken dry with a paper towel. Then, keep the paper towels on the chicken and pound down it with a meat tenderizer until even thickness (if needed).
After preparing the chicken, preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Chicken dipping
Set up your stations for making the chicken.
In one plate, shallow container, or pie dish add the flour.
In a second bowl, add the whisked eggs.
In a third mixing bowl, add the panko.
Sprinkle salt on the top of each container. Salt the chicken thighs to your taste.
Then cover the chicken in the flour, dip it in the egg, then cover it thoroughly in the panko mixture.
Repeat with the other remaining chicken thighs.
Step 3: Cook chicken
Now, spray the air fryer basket with oil. Place the chicken thighs. Liberally spray the chicken.
Air fry for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken reaches safe internal temp (170 degrees F or 77 degrees C).
Halfway through cooking, flip the chicken and spray with additional oil. If further crunchiness is desired, flip and spray with more oil during the last two minutes of cooking.
Step 4: Make Katsu sauce
Mix ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
You can make this sauce a day ahead too.
What to serve with Katsu Chicken
If you want some ideas of what to serve with this sweet and savory Katsu chicken, take a look at the list below!
Katsu chicken side dishes for the air fryer:
- Air Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Honey Mustard Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Frozen Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Broccoli from Frozen
- Rice in the Air Fryer
I am always down for a delicious chicken recipe, and this Chicken Katsu recipe is just that. While there are a few steps to this recipe, it is so worth it with the flavors that are developed.
Plus there are great recipes to make alongside this dish that can also be made in the air fryer if you wish!
The best family dinner recipes to make in the air fryer:
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Dinner Recipe
- Simple Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner in the Air Fryer
- 4 Ingredient Crescent Roll Meatball Dinner Recipe in the Air Fryer
- The Easiest 5 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken Dinner
- How to Make One Pan Teriyaki Chicken in the Air Fryer for Easy Dinnertime
- 5-Ingredient Air Fryer Zucchini Boats | Easy Low-Carb Air Fryer Dinner
- Kielbasa Veggie Dinner in the Air Fryer
Air fryer tips and tricks
- Air Fryer 101
- Learn these common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
- FREE Download → Air Fryer Tips & Temps
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- Watch Fabulessly Frugal YouTube Channel for Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Katsu (with Homemade Katsu Sauce)
- Paper towel
- Shallow container Plate, pie dish, salad bowl
- 2 Small bowls
- Oil sprayer
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towel. Keep the paper towels on the chicken and pound down until even thickness (if needed).
- Preheat the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes.
- Set up your stations. In one plate, shallow container, or pie dish add the flour. In a second, add the whisked eggs. In a third, add the panko. Sprinkle salt on the top of each container.
- Salt the chicken thighs to taste.
- Cover the chicken in the flour, dip it in the egg, then cover it thoroughly in the panko mixture. Repeat with the other chicken thigh.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil. Place the chicken thighs. Liberally spray the chicken.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken reaches safe internal temp (170F). Halfway through cooking, flip the chicken and spray with additional oil. If further crunchiness is desired, flip and spray with more oil during the last two minutes of cooking.
- Mix ingredients together in respective bowls. Store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use. Can make a day ahead.
Recipe Adapted From: Little Ferraro Kitchen
Keep up to date on our newest air fryer recipes!