How To Make Grilled Pizza
I gave the hubs a Grill for Father’s Day this year. Just between you and me, it was a selfish gift. The hubs has been making dinner a LOT since he got it. Not gonna lie, I’m loving it!
I’ve had many people tell me you can make pizza on the grill and that it was so tasty, but I just hadn’t gotten around to it… until last night.
Since I didn’t have time to make some homemade crust, I relied on what I could find at the store. I grabbed one Pillsbury Pizza Crust, and then a box of Jiffy Pizza Crust in a box. Here’s what happened.
The Jiffy was pretty “runny” for throwing on the grill, so I added some more flour which gave me a better consistency to work with. While I was preparing the dough, the hubs fired up the grill (high on one burner, and medium on the other… he also brushed olive oil on the thingys).
After flattening out the dough, I spread some olive oil over the top. To make flipping easier, you’ll want to make your dough more like a “personal” sized pizza.
(this is one of the Pillsbury crusts cut in half… each tube would make 4 pizzas)
After you’ve oiled up the dough pick it up and flip the oiled side onto a hot grill (mine was on high). After a few minutes, the top of the crust will start to “blister” (see picture). Peek at the crust underneath to see if it’s cooked to your liking.
Flip it over and to the other half of the grill (which is on medium heat). Then it’s time to place toppings on!
Try putting the cheese on first, since it takes the longest to melt (do you have some cheese in your freezer you got a great deal on?). Then put on the sauce, and your favorite toppings (I used some sausage I had in my freezer from a sale). Once all of your toppings are on, cook for a few minutes more (until the crust is cooked nicely… a little burn is tasty too!).
Final result? Super yummy pizza… and my kitchen stayed cool!
This was a fun dinner to make! My kids got to make their own pizza, and at one point I had each of the four stages going simultaneously.
OK Pizza Grilling Pro’s – what are your tips?
How To Make Grilled Pizza
- Pillsbury Pizza Dough
- Olive Oil
- Pizza Sauce
- Pizza Toppings (sausage, pepperoni, vegetables, etc)
- Fire up the grill setting one burner on high and the other on medium
- Brush grates with olive oil
- Flatten out the dough
- Spread some olive oil over the top of the dough
- Cut each square of dough in half
- Place oiled side of dough on burner set to high on grill for a few minutes until top blisters and bottom of the crust is cooked to your preference
- Flip it over and to the other half of the grill, which is on medium heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese to your reference
- Add sauce
- Place on the remainder of your toppings
- Once all of your toppings are on the pizza cook it until the crust is cooked nicely and cheese melts