Low Carb Lemon Bars Recipe
Gluten free, low carb, keto lemon bars that taste delicious too!
I love lemon bars, especially if they have a good crust. I’m a crust girl, for sure. So I decided it was time to figure out a delicious low carb lemon bar recipe that lived up to my standards. My family doesn’t eat strictly low carb or keto, but I love finding low carb alternatives that my whole family can enjoy!
So if I don’t eat keto or low carb, why do I love finding delicious low carb recipes? Well, one of my sons (Melanie here) has Type 1 Diabetes. He’s also a really picky eater, so I am not going to make him eat only low carb. The disease is already pretty difficult to deal with and our current way of eating is working well enough for us so far.
It is important to know that food is not the only thing that affects blood glucose with Type 1. But when he does eat low carb foods it helps him use less insulin and have less of a spike in blood glucose. Both good things!
The trick is that the low carb foods have to really taste good or he won’t have it. 😉 It feels so empowering when I find an easy low carb recipe that he likes! These lemon bars pass the test. Empowerment in delicious shortbread and lemony form.
For the filling, I didn’t want to deal with a bunch of egg yolks, too many weird ingredients, or cooking it twice. So I found a recipe for low carb lemon curd on All Day I Dream About Food that looked like a good start and began making tweaks.
Note that fresh lemon juice is more tart in flavor and bottled lemon juice is more sour. I prefer fresh lemon juice in lemon bars!
As far as weird ingredients go, I figure most people eating low carb or keto have blanched almond flour, coconut flour, and a good low carb sweetener. These ingredients are pretty easy to find now days too! My favorite sweetener for this recipe is Swerve Confectioners.
I tried a few different shortbread crusts, but this recipe from Easy Keto Desserts is definitely my favorite! So easy and so good. In fact, you could reduce the salt a bit, bake it up, and enjoy it as a plain shortbread cookie too.
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
See more of our favorite low carb keto recipes!
Low Carb Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup powdered erythritol (I use this)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, powdered erythritol, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir to combine, until all of the flour is moistened. The crust batter will be crumbly and dry, but will stick together when pressed.
- Press the crust into the prepared pan. Bake for 10-13 minutes, until the edges become golden brown. Remove from oven and let crust cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter for the filling and let it cool while you measure out the other ingredients. In a medium bowl, add the eggs, powdered erythritol, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and coconut flour. Add the melted butter and whisk all of the ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the filling onto the crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and set. Let cool for 30 minutes, then chill in the refrigerator. Once cold, they are ready to cut and serve. Lift out of the pan and cut into 16 bars.
Recipe Adapted From: Easy Keto Desserts