Easy BBQ Chicken Braid Recipe
5 Ingredient BBQ Chicken Braid Recipe
If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe, this BBQ chicken braid recipe is a good one! I had a lot of fun trying to come up with a simple recipe of only 5 ingredients or less, using the slightly sweet and delicious KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce. KC Masterpiece and DataRank sponsored this post, but the recipe and opinions are all from me!
BBQ Chicken Braid Ingredients
Do you have cooked shredded chicken in your freezer? Sometimes when I buy chicken in bulk, I like to cook, shred, and freeze some of the chicken so it is super easy to use in recipes like this one.
This time though I used about 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, seasoned it with salt and pepper, grilled it, and shredded it. You could also easily shred up some rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Check out this tutorial on how to shred chicken with a mixer.
It is ideal to buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself because it will melt better, but sometimes convenience wins. I chose to use a Colby & Monterey Jack blend, but you could use cheddar, mozzarella, or even a Mexican blend if you want.
I also love the convenience of the Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creation dough, but if you wanted you could try using this homemade whole wheat bread dough recipe instead (make the braid after the first rise). Scissors make cutting the side strips of the dough really easy!
Assembling the BBQ Chicken Braid
I’m no pro when it comes to “braiding” the dough, but it ended up looking okay and got the job done! I had some excess dough on one end though, so I guess the first pieces should go more around the end rather than over the top of it.
Baking & Serving Your BBQ Chicken Braid
Once you have your BBQ chicken braid assembled, just bake it until the dough is a delicious golden brown. Yum.
Hope you and your family enjoy this easy recipe! It was inspired by this ham and cheese braid recipe.
More 30-Minute Meal Recipes:
- Cream Cheese Chicken Crescent Roll Recipe
- Oven Baked Tacos Recipe
- Turkey Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Crispy Oven Breaded Pork Chops Recipe
- Quick Buffalo Chicken Wrap Recipe
Would you like to see more of our recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Easy BBQ Chicken Braid Recipe
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough (or Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations or homemade dough)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sauce, cheese, and green onions.
- Stir to combine.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and arrange flat on an 11X17 baking sheet.
- Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough (adapt or eliminate this step if using the Recipe Creations or using homemade bread/crescent dough).
- Using a knife or scissors, cut 1 inch wide strips in towards the center, starting on the long sides.
- There should be a solid strip about 3 inches wide down the center, with the cut strips forming a fringe down each side.
- Spread the filling along the center of the dough.
- Gently fold & stretch the side strips over filling, alternating strips from each side and pressing them into the dough on the opposite side, forming a braid.
- Pinch or twist to seal.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until deep golden brown. Cut into slices and serve immediately.