Easy BBQ Chicken Braid Recipe
Only 5 ingredients needed for this yummy BBQ Chicken Braid…
If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe, this BBQ chicken braid is a good one! I had a lot of fun trying to come up with a simple recipe of only 5 ingredients or less, using the slightly sweet and delicious KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce. KC Masterpiece and DataRank sponsored this post, but the recipe and opinions are all from me!
Do you have cooked shredded chicken in your freezer? Sometimes when I buy chicken in bulk, I like to cook, shred, and freeze some of the chicken so it is super easy to use in recipes like this one. This time though I used about 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, seasoned it with salt and pepper, grilled it, and shredded it. You could also easily shred up some rotisserie chicken for this recipe.
It is ideal to buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself because it will melt better, but sometimes convenience wins. I chose to use a Colby & Monterey Jack blend, but you could use cheddar, mozzarella, or even a Mexican blend if you want.
I also love the convenience of the Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creation dough, but sometimes I use this homemade French bread dough (make the braid after the first rise). It is about equal to two cans of refrigerated crescent dough. Scissors make cutting the side strips of the dough really easy!
I’m no pro when it comes to “braiding” the dough, but it ended up looking okay and got the job done! I had some excess dough on one end though, so I guess the first pieces should go more around the end rather than over the top of it. Then just bake your braid until the dough is a delicious golden brown. Yum.
Hope you and your family enjoy this easy recipe!
This BBQ Chicken Braid recipe was inspired by the cheesy ham & broccoli crescent braid recipe.
Easy BBQ Chicken Braid Recipe
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough (or Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations or homemade dough)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sauce, cheese, and green onions.
- Stir to combine.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and arrange flat on an 11X17 baking sheet.
- Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough (adapt or eliminate this step if using the Recipe Creations or using homemade bread/crescent dough).
- Using a knife or scissors, cut 1 inch wide strips in towards the center, starting on the long sides.
- There should be a solid strip about 3 inches wide down the center, with the cut strips forming a fringe down each side.
- Spread the filling along the center of the dough.
- Gently fold & stretch the side strips over filling, alternating strips from each side and pressing them into the dough on the opposite side, forming a braid.
- Pinch or twist to seal.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until deep golden brown. Cut into slices and serve immediately.