Pea Salad Recipe
Pea salad with broccoli, cauliflower, and bacon covered in a creamy dressing!
This pea salad recipe is a wonderful side dish option for a potluck, BBQ, or holiday gathering! It is delicious and pretty and bacon!
Chop the broccoli, cauliflower, and bacon into small pieces – the size of peas or even a bit smaller. You could probably put the cauliflower in a food processor as long as you careful to keep the pieces from getting too small. The idea is to get pieces of all of the different salad elements in each and every bite! This is especially important for the bacon…because it is bacon and bacon is delicious.
Once you have the broccoli and cauliflower rinsed and trimmed down to the florets, you can just lay each out and start slicing your knife across it in different directions until you have the little pieces. For the celery, I cut a rib or two into thirds length-wise, then slice it up.
An easy way to thaw the frozen peas is dumping them into a colander, then turning on the faucet and running water over them. It only takes a minute or so for them to defrost.
In the microwave is my favorite way to cook the bacon for a salad like this. Layer paper towels on a large microwave-safe plate (or you can try newspaper with a few paper towels as the top layers), then place the bacon in a single layer over the paper towels, cover with a paper towel, and microwave for 5-7 minutes. You can cook the bacon while you are chopping veggies – quick and easy! Of course, you can also cook the bacon on the stove top or in the oven, or buy bacon that is already cooked and crumbled. Whatever you prefer!
The dressing is simple and creamy. It is also flexible. You can try using red onion instead of yellow, cider vinegar instead of white, fresh grated Parmesan or the powdery grated Parmesan, mayo or Miracle Whip. Use what you have, use what you like, and I’m sure it will be great!
I have a confession to make…I normally don’t like peas (unless they’re fresh), mayo, or celery. BUT I was pleasantly surprised by this salad and will be making it again!
P.S. You will definitely want to use at least a 4-quart bowl for this salad. It can feed a crowd!
I got this recipe from my friend, Jessica, and she got it from her mom. It is one of their family favorites!
My favorite chef knife – Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Pea Salad Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2-3 heads broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 12-15 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 pound bacon, cooked crisp and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Chop all of the vegetables and cooked bacon into pieces that are pea-sized or slightly smaller. Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over salad. Gently fold the dressing into the salad until evenly coated.
- Let salad chill for a few hours. Serve.