Air Fryer Magic Marshmallow Rolls— An Easy Breakfast or Dessert Recipe
Disappearing Marshmallow Crescent Roll Breakfast or Dessert Recipe
Hocus pocus buns, disappearing marshmallow rolls, magic marshmallow rolls, empty coffin rolls, empty tomb rolls, resurrection rolls are all similar names you may have heard for this delicious and easy breakfast recipe.
Or, if you are like me, you may enjoy this sweet and sugary recipe better as a dessert. Either way, these marshmallow meltaways are a simple recipe that only needs five ingredients and no more than 15 minutes to make.
Keep reading to learn how to make this scrumptious recipe in the air fryer!
Hocus Pocus Buns Ingredients and Substitution Ideas
Hocus pocus buns are simple to make! Check out these four base ingredients you will need. Then, I’ll share with you some tasty substitution ideas.
To make disappearing rolls, you will need:
- 1 can of crescent roll dough
- 8-9 marshmallows
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
If you aren’t a cinnamon and sugar fan, try swapping out the spices for some summertime seasonings like a lemon and sugar seasoning. Or try some fall favorites like apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice. And while I haven’t tried this yet, I wonder if a fresh minty roll would taste refreshing as a morning treat? What other sweet substitutions can you think of? Share with us in the comments below!
How to Make Resurrection Rolls in the Air Fryer
Air fryer empty tomb rolls as they are known during spring and Easter season, or empty coffin rolls as you may enjoy them during Halloween are so simple to make! This recipe is easy enough that they are hard to not enjoy year around. Here are the steps to make this simple air fryer recipe.
Step 1. Gather Your Tools
The tip to making this recipe come together quickly is to gather the tools and prepare the ingredients before you start assembling.
Step 2. Prepare the Ingredients
Next, I like to make an assembly line of my ingredients so that I can easily place the prepared rolls in the air fryer basket without getting too many surfaces dirty.
Place the melted butter in a bowl. Next, combine the cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl. Then have a lightly sprayed air fryer basket prepped and ready. Roll out the crescent roll dough. I like to have the dough on a lightly oiled surface, a silpat baking mat, or cookie sheet. You can also place an air fryer liner inside the air fryer instead of oiling it.
Note: if you use a silicone liner, you may want to lightly oil that surface so that it is easier to clean. Learn more about the difference between silicone liners and parchment paper in this YouTube video.
Step 3. Dip and Cover
Take a marshmallow, dip it in the butter. Be sure to completely cover it in butter so that the spice mixture will stick. Then, take the marshmallow and dip and cover it completely in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Step 4. Wrap: Two Options
Next you will wrap the marshmallows in the crescent roll dough. There are two different ways you can use the crescent roll dough to make these tasty breakfast rolls.
Option 1: Use the perforated triangles
You can use the premade triangles in the prepacked crescent dough to cover the marshmallows. Place the marshmallow near the wider end of the triangle and wrap the rest of the dough around the marshmallow.
Option 2: Cut around the marshmallows
First, seal up the perforated lines with your fingers. Place each of the prepared marshmallows on the dough, in a three by three grid. Take a pizza cutter or knife and cut the dough into 9 squares around the marshmallows. Please make sure there is enough room to completely cover and close the marshmallows.
Step 5. Air Fry
Place the rolls in the air fryer basket and cook for 6 to 8 minutes at 350˚F/175˚C, or until the outsides are a nice golden brown.
This recipe is called the fun different names because throughout the cooking process the marshmallows melt and disappear. Hence, empty tomb, empty coffin, disappearing marshmallows, magic marshmallow, or hocus pocus buns.
Oven baking instructions
If you’d like to try this recipe in the oven, place the buns on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius.
Once the rolls are ready you can enjoy these sweet treats for breakfast or dinner. But, the fun flavors doesn’t have to stop there. You can also serve these rolls with some pretty tasty toppings such as:
- the remaining amounts of melted butter and cinnamon sugar mixture. (baste the rolls with butter and sprinkle on more cinnamon and sugar).
- powdered sugar (simply dust the top with powdered sugar).
- homemade glaze with or without sprinkles (if you are making these for Easter or Halloween, try these festive Halloween sprinkles or Easter bunny sprinkles).
- melted chocolate sauce or try our very favorite homemade microwave hot fudge recipe.
- a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or any of your favorite ice cream flavors).
Share with us in the comments any other toppings that you think will be tasty!
These magical buns are a fun and tasty treat that you don’t need to wait until Easter or Halloween to make! These are a great treat full of pure magic and delicious flavors. I love the simplicity of this recipe and I know you will too! This is a recipe that I love to make with my kids. Actually, this recipe is easy enough that kids could make it by themselves!
How did this recipe work for you in the air fryer? Share with us your own tips and tricks!
A few more fun air fryer recipes
- The Very Best 5 Ingredient Crème Brûlée Recipe
- Our Favorite Monkey Bread Recipe
- Fresh and Light Fruit in the Air Fryer
My favorite air fryer tips that you need to know
- Common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- The Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
Disappearing Marshmallow Rolls in the Air Fryer
- 1 can crescent roll dough
- 8-9 large marshmallows
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl or dish.
- Unroll the can of crescent roll dough. Then, lightly spray the air fryer basket, or use air fryer parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Dip and cover the marshmallows in the melted butter then the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Wrap the marshmallows in the crescent roll dough. You can either place the marshmallow on top of the dough then cut squares out around the marshmallows. Or, you can place the marshmallow on the wider end of the preforated triangle. Either way, wrap the dough securely around the marshmallow making sure there are no holes or leaks.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook for6 to 8 minutes at 350˚F/175˚C, or until the dough is golden brown.