Turkey Broccoli Rice Casserole
I love this chicken or turkey broccoli rice casserole recipe!
One of the best things about this one-pot turkey broccoli rice casserole recipe is how incredibly versatile it is. You can change up the ingredients to make it all your own. Plus, it’s a great way to use up your leftovers! Perfect for leftover turkey or chicken.
Of course, it is also incredibly delicious and easy to make. The whole family loves it!
Leftover turkey is great for sandwiches, but we can only have it for so many meals before we are tired of it! This delicious, comforting turkey broccoli rice casserole will break up the monotony of turkey leftovers.
Leftover rice or broccoli can be used in this recipe too. Or you can steam the broccoli and cook the rice in advance! Then all you have to do is basically stir everything together and heat it up when it is time for dinner.
Even if you don’t have leftovers, chicken broccoli rice casserole is still a great meal option. Thaw some chicken from the freezer, chop it up, season with salt and pepper, and add it to the skillet in the beginning with the onion. This chicken casserole only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish!
Want to take it up a notch?! It will taste and feel more fresh and healthy if you use this easy homemade cream of chicken soup instead of the canned stuff. I already have the mix in my pantry, so making the soup is super easy and fast. Bonus, you can make this meal gluten-free with the cream of chicken soup recipe.
What type of rice to use:
I use long grain Basmati rice, but feel free to use any kind of rice! Note that different kinds of rice may take different amounts of cooking time and more or less chicken broth though.
Brown rice will take longer to cook and may require more liquid. Short grain yields a creamier rice, so long grain is recommended. Give quick-cooking rice a try if you want to speed it up even more!
Cooking turkey broccoli rice casserole in a skillet is my preferred method because everything gets cooked to perfection. And I love that it is all made in one pot, or skillet. No overcooked mushy rice and broccoli! Yay! (This is my favorite skillet.)
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Nutrition info may vary depending on the ingredients you use.
Turkey Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken or turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup (I use homemade cream of chicken)
- 2 to 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped bite-size
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, until garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the uncooked rice, cream of chicken, and 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is fully cooked, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add more chicken broth, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the broccoli florets, 1/2 cup of cheese, and cooked chicken or turkey. Cook for about 2 minutes, until broccoli begins to soften. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top. If desired, place skillet under broiler for a few minutes, just until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
If you would like to use raw chicken, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, season with salt and pepper, and add the chicken to the skillet at the beginning with the onion.
Recipe Adapted From: Jo Cooks