Double Chocolate Muffins Recipe
Try this easy double chocolate muffins recipe!
Delicious, fluffy, tender chocolate muffins with chocolate chips all around. Yum. Top with chocolate frosting and you’ve got yourself a double chocolate cupcake! Or maybe the chocolate frosting makes it a triple chocolate cupcake? Anyway, whenever I want to make homemade chocolate muffins or chocolate cupcakes, this is my go-to recipe.
I’m not totally sure what the difference is between a muffin and a cupcake sometimes. And with these amazing double chocolate muffins, I don’t think it really matters. I think these babies can go both ways! Call them whatever you want, they are definitely in the delicious category.
P.S. When a recipe offers ingredient weight measurements I use my kitchen scale for a more accurate result. Put the bowl on the scale, zero it out, add the ingredient to the appropriate weight, zero it out again, add next ingredient, and so on. 🙂
These chocolate muffins really are pretty easy to make too. You don’t even need to get out the mixer! In fact, you don’t want to because good old fashioned stirring helps to ensure the batter isn’t over-mixed.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, one of the following substitutions should work well for this particular chocolate muffins recipe…
- 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup sour cream
My tips for this recipe are to avoid over-mixing the batter and to fill the muffin cups only about 2/3 full. When I fill them more full, the muffins don’t seem to rise as well.
They are easy, but still everything I want in a chocolate muffin – lots of chocolate, fluffy and tender crumb, still good structure. In fact, dare I say, they remind me of the famous chocolate muffins from Costco, except smaller, of course.
Hope you give this chocolate muffins recipe a try and love them too!
You might also like these recipes:
- Healthier Chocolate No Bake Cookies
- Best Chocolate Cookies
- Easy Made From Scratch You Can’t Stop Eating It Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Best Zucchini Brownies
- Oreo Truffle Brownies
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes?
Subscribe to our recipe email.
Double Chocolate Muffins Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour 8.75 ounces
- 1 cup granulated sugar 7.5 ounces
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa 2.5 ounces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Prepare muffin pan with liners or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until tops spring back lightly to the touch or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (unless you hit a chocolate chip!). Let sit in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe Adapted From: Mel's Kitchen Cafe