Candy Corn Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
Cute and easy holiday treat recipe – perfect for Halloween or Thanksgiving!
This is such a fun little holiday treat recipe! The kids AND the adults will love it! Here are some reasons why:
- Super easy.
- Super fast.
- Cute and festive.
This recipe calls for the usual crispy rice cereal treat ingredients, but add some food coloring and candy coating/candy melts to the list too. (I use vanilla almond bark for the white and Wilton yellow candy melts for the yellow – available at most grocery stores.)
Want to know a secret to better rice crispy treats? More marshmallows. Yep, as simple as that. Many recipes call for about equal amounts of marshmallows and cereal, but increasing the marshmallows makes the treats taste better and stay softer.
The color in gel food coloring is more concentrated than traditional food coloring, so you get good color and use less. Red and yellow makes orange!
Lining the pan with foil or parchment paper makes it easy to remove the rice crispy treats for even easier cutting. Cut three rows lengthwise, then made the diagonal cuts to form triangles. Separate each triangle and gently pat the corners to round them a bit. Voila – rice crispy treats shaped like candy corn!
After melting the candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl, I prefer to transfer it to a narrower container to get more depth for dipping. It works either way though. Candy coating will work a bit better than chocolate because it sets up quickly. Instead of yellow, you could use chocolate candy coating for more of a Brach’s Indian Corn look.
P.S. If you think you might want to buy only white candy coating and color some of it yellow, just be aware that only certain types of food coloring will work with candy coating/almond bark. The candy coating packaging should include instructions about how to do it.
This is definitely one of those recipes that I would gladly make again and again. Everyone loved them and they are so easy to make! Little helpers can even join in on the dipping fun. Perfect for a fall, Halloween, or Thanksgiving party…or just for fun!
Would you like to see more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Candy Corn Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 10 cups mini marshmallows (about 15 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- orange food coloring
- 6 ounces white candy coating or almond bark
- 8 ounces yellow candy coating
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment paper. Butter or spray pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the salt (not necessary if you use salted butter). Then add the marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted. Stir in the food coloring until you've reached the desired orange color. Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in the cereal until well coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Let set.
- Once set, remove from the pan, and cut the slab of treats into triangles. Use your hands to gently shape each triangle and round the corners. Set out a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Melt the white candy coating according to the package instructions. Dip the small end or tip of the triangle treat into the coating and gently shake off the excess. Place it on the mat or paper. Then continue on until all of the treats have been dipped. It will only take a short time for the coating to set up. Melt the yellow candy coating and dip the base (opposite end) of the triangle, shaking off the excess. Let set.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Can be made with gluten-free ingredients.
Recipe Adapted From: Pint-sized Treasures