If you grew even one plant of Zucchini you probably have so much you don’t know what to do with it all (I do). One of the best ways to preserve Zucchini is to freeze it. It is SUPER quick and easy to freeze and has many different uses. You can cut it up and use it in stir fry or kabobs. or shred it and use it in Zucchini Bread, lasagna, egg dishes and more.
Freezing Sliced Zucchini
1. Fill a large stockpot three quarters of the way full with water and heat to a boil on the stove top.
2. Wash the fresh zucchini with water to remove any dirt. Dry the zucchini and place on a cutting board.
3. Slice the stem and the end of the zucchini off and throw away or add to your compost pile. Slice the remaining zucchini into 1/4 – 1/2-inch pieces for freezing.
4. Prepare a large bowl with ice water to cool the zucchini after it is blanced in the boiling water.
5. Put the zucchini slices in the boiling water for up to three minutes to blanch. Start timing once the water has returned to a boil. Blanching the zucchini stops enzyme production, this helps the zucchini maintain its taste and color when frozen.
6. Remove the zucchini from the boiling water and quickly put it into the ice water. Keep the zucchini in the cold water for three minutes (add ice if necessary). strain off the water and allow it to drain for five minutes to remove excess water.
7. Put the zucchini into freezer bags or vacuum seal bags for storage. Remove as much air from the bag before sealing it. This helps keep ice crystals from forming on your zucchini. Seal the bag and label with the contents and date you froze the zucchini, so you can identify it in the freezer later!
1. Wash and cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. (I usually use my large zucchinis to shred.)
You may also want to steam or blanch grated zucchini before freezing. (see above) I then measure the shredded zucchini into a freezer bag. I like to measure it according to what most of my recipes call for ie Zucchini bread 2 cups. Grated zucchini can be added to quick breads, egg dishes, lasagna and many other recipes.
FoodSaver Advanced Design Vacuum Sealing System V2840 RED/Stainless is back on sale for only $99.99!
Save $300 from regular price.
Check out our most popular Zucchini recipes.