A few Sunday’s ago I was craving some really good chocolate cake. I’m not talking about the stuff we can get a great deal on, that’s from a box. I’m talking about some fabulous tasting made from scratch chocolate cake! I found this recipe at AllRecipes.com and we’ve made it two Sundays in a row! In fact, it was our Easter Dessert! (No, it wasn’t pretty and pastel, but man it tasted good!). The first time we made it, we made the butter cream frosting too. It was good, but most of us ended up eating just the cake (because it was perfect all by itself)! The second time we made this delicious Chocolate Cake we put cool whip on top. It’s the perfect moist and dense chocolate cake! Rather than being overly rich, it’s just PERFECT! Next time I think I’ll chill it and and put chilled canned cherry pie filling and cool whip on the top!
Easy Chocolate Cake
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans (I just made mine in 9×13 baking pan and increased bake time to 42 minutes)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water by hand (make sure you mix it in well… the batter will look runny, but have faith… it’ll turn out!)
- Pour evenly into the greased pan(s)
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (For the 9×13 cake pan I baked it for about 42 minutes… do the toothpick test, it should come out fairly clean).
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely. (I just leave mine in the pan)
- Delicious by itself, either slightly warm or even chilled! Try it with cool whip, or chilled pie cherries and cool whip!
Homemade Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting:
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
5 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter until light and fluffy
- Stir in the cocoa and confectioners’ sugar alternately with the milk and vanilla (I preferred a little less cocoa)
- Beat to a spreading consistency
Enjoy this FABULOUS cake!