Healthier Caramel Popcorn
Try this delicious popcorn recipe!
Only 4 ingredients needed: coconut oil, honey, vanilla, salt! Oh, and you’ll want some popped popcorn too. 🙂 If you love sweet popcorn, like I do, you will love this recipe!
This is basically a healthier version of one of my favorite sweet popcorn recipes, Killian Corn. So good! Now that I’ve found this version, I feel like I can enjoy it more often. In fact, I think I’ll whip some up tonight!
A word of caution though, if you don’t want to eat the whole bowl, you will need to portion it out for yourself. (True story.)
My hot air corn popper died the other day, so I got a new one and tried it out over the weekend. I can’t believe how much better this one works! So if you have an 11-yr-old popcorn popper hanging around still, just know that there might be a better one available now. 😉 (I got the Presto 04864 PopLite popper and so far, so good!)
I recommend sifting the popped popcorn with your fingers, from one large bowl to another in order to lose most of the unpopped kernels. No one likes eating caramel corn and biting into a hard kernel! I use about 4 quarts of popped popcorn with this recipe and it seems to be just the right amount for the sauce.
Speaking of the sauce, you will probably want to start with making the sauce, then pop the popcorn. The sauce won’t be ready to use until it has cooled a bit. Once cooled, it will be thicker and have more of a milky honey appearance. In fact, it pretty much looks like caramel!
Pour it over the popcorn, then fold or stir the sauce into the popcorn until the popcorn is well coated; this will take a few minutes to really get it distributed evenly. I use my left hand to guard against popcorn spilling out of the bowl and to rotate the bowl between stirs. I use my right hand to scrape from the side, bottom of bowl, and up with the spoon.
This popcorn is so yummy! Your fingers get a little sticky, but it is worth it.
This recipe is adapted from Lazy Budget Chef.
Healthier Caramel Popcorn
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw local honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start with the sauce first. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil and honey on a low heat until thoroughly melted. It will look nearly transparent and slightly separated. Whisk together. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla. Whisk again. Then set aside.
- Pop up a bunch of plain popcorn, about 4 quarts. Sift the popped popcorn with your fingers, from one large bowl to another in order to lose most of the unpopped kernels.
- The sauce is ready when it has cooled a bit. It will be thicker and have more of a milky honey appearance. Drizzle the sauce over the prepared popcorn.
- Then fold the sauce into the popcorn until the popcorn is well coated; this will take a few minutes, then it is ready to enjoy!