Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Delicious and Healthy Caramel Popcorn
This is basically a healthier version of one of my favorite sweet popcorn recipes, Killian Corn. So good! Now that I’ve found this version, I feel like I can enjoy it more often. In fact, I think I’ll whip some up tonight!
If you love sweet popcorn as I do, you will love this healthy caramel popcorn recipe! A word of caution though, if you don’t want to eat the whole bowl, you will need to portion it out for yourself. (True story.)
Healthy Caramel Popcorn Ingredients
Only 4 ingredients are needed for the healthy caramel sauce:
- Coconut oil
The only other thing you’ll need for this caramel corn recipe is some popped popcorn. 🙂 I use about 4 quarts of popped popcorn with this recipe and it seems to be just the right amount for the sauce.
Popcorn Popping Tips
My hot air corn popper died the other day, so I got a new one and tried it out over the weekend. I can’t believe how much better this one works! If you have an 11-yr-old popcorn popper hanging around still, just know that there might be a better one available now. 😉 (I got the Presto 04864 PopLite popper and so far, so good!)
I recommend sifting the popped popcorn with your fingers, from one large bowl to another in order to lose most of the unpopped kernels. No one likes eating caramel corn and biting into a hard kernel!
Making the Healthy Caramel Sauce
You will probably want to start with making the caramel sauce first, then pop the popcorn. The sauce won’t be ready to use until it has cooled a bit. Once cooled, it will be thicker and have more of a milky honey appearance. In fact, it pretty much looks like caramel!
Pour it over the popcorn, then fold or stir the sauce into the popcorn until the popcorn is well coated; this will take a few minutes to really get it distributed evenly. I use my left hand to guard against popcorn spilling out of the bowl and to rotate the bowl between stirs. I use my right hand to scrape from the side, bottom of the bowl, and up with the spoon.
Enjoy Your Caramel Corn!
This healthy caramel popcorn is so yummy! Your fingers get a little sticky, but it is worth it. Just make sure to have some napkins on hand!
Now, what are you waiting for? Bust out some family board games or a good family movie, make some of this caramel popcorn and enjoy!
More Popcorn Recipes
Would you like to see more of our favorite recipes? Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw local honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start with the sauce first. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil and honey on a low heat until thoroughly melted. It will look nearly transparent and slightly separated. Whisk together. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla. Whisk again. Then set aside.
- Pop up a bunch of plain popcorn, about 4 quarts. Sift the popped popcorn with your fingers, from one large bowl to another in order to lose most of the unpopped kernels.
- The sauce is ready when it has cooled a bit. It will be thicker and have more of a milky honey appearance. Drizzle the sauce over the prepared popcorn.
- Then fold the sauce into the popcorn until the popcorn is well coated; this will take a few minutes, then it is ready to enjoy!