Acorn Squash Dinner in the Air Fryer
For a delicious low-carb option for dinner, this Air Fryer Acorn Squash Dinner is so perfect for enjoying the sauce, but without all the pasta.
You can make this stuffed acorn squash for one, or however many you need depending on the amount of people you need to serve.
Out of all of the squash recipes, this acorn squash recipe is one of my absolute favorites! It is an easy dish to make with the winter squashes and filled with flavor and tender veggies.
Ingredients needed for making Acorn Squash Dinner in the Air Fryer
- Acorn squash
- Avocado oil (butter or olive oil will work too)
- Italian Sausage
- Bell peppers
- Sweet onion
- Marinara sauce
Supplies needed Roasted Acorn Squash Dinner:
Veggies and spices to use for this squash recipe:
For this recipe we use acorn squash, however, if you prefer, you can always try spaghetti squash, delicata squash, or butternut squash instead.
Feel free to add in mushroom slices and apples (if you want sweeter sauce)to the sauce.
Fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary would add another depth of flavor, as well as some minced garlic. Kosher salt and pepper can be added to the sauce for the stuffed acorn squash recipe as well
Sauce to use with this for this oven roasted acorn squash:
It is easy to pair this acorn bake dinner with marinara sauce, but you could also try it with a vodka or pumpkin sauce.
Toppings for this Thanksgiving-like dinner recipe:
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown sugar
- Dried cranberries
- Maple syrup
- Pomegranate seeds
How to make Acorn Squash Dinner in the Air Fryer:
Step 1: Prep the acorn squash
First, wash and cut the acorn squash in half. Scoop out all the seeds from the acorn squash halves with a spoon.
Take about 1/2 – 1 tbsp oil for each half and rub it over the squash (optional)
Step 2: Air fry the squash
Once the squash is ready to roast, place it in the air fryer for 20-25 minutes at 370 degrees F or 188 degrees C.
After 20 minutes, the texture of the acorn squash should be fork-tender.
For the last 5 minutes, turn the heat down to 320 degrees F or 160 degrees C so the squash won’t burn.
Step 3: Prep the veggies
Cut the bell peppers and onion into bite-size pieces or smaller. The size is up to you.
Step 4: Make the sauce
Brown the Italian sausage on the stovetop over medium heat. Remove them from pan and wipe out the grease.
Then, saute the bell peppers and onion until tender. Once the veggies are done, add the meat to the veggies.
Now, pour in however much marinara sauce you like, stir everything together, and let the sauce simmer and warm while you prep the squash.
Step 5: Carefully remove from air fryer basket.
Take the acorn squash out of the air fryer, then either enjoy the sauce straight on top of the acorn squash or scoop out inside with a fork and serve the sauce on top.
Side dishes to serve with Air Fryer Acorn Squash Dinner
Short of serving a simple salad with this recipe, these are some delicious options to serve with this delicious dinner recipe:
- Air Fryer Broccoli from Frozen
- How to Roast Any Vegetable in the Air Fryer
- Rice in the Air Fryer
- The Best Fried Rice in the Air Fryer
If you are looking for a simple dairy-free air fryer snack that you can make in about 15-20 minutes, then you have found a great recipe.
Not only can you customize the flavor of the air fryer chips, but you can make them with wholesome ingredients and have a healthier snack option too.
Delicious snacks to make in the air fryer:
- Homemade Pizza Bagels in the Air Fryer
- How to Make Popcorn in the Air Fryer
- Easy Air Fryer Snack Idea: Dorito Crusted Babybel Cheese Bites
- Simple Air Fryer Tuna Melt
- Vegetarian Bean & Cheese Burrito In The Air Fryer Recipe
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Ham Quesadilla
Air fryer tips and tricks
- Air Fryer 101
- Learn these common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
- FREE Download → Air Fryer Tips & Temps
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- Watch Fabulessly Frugal YouTube Channel for Air Fryer Recipes
Acorn Squash Dinner in the Air Fryer
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- Oil sprayer
Prep the acorn squash
- Wash and cut the acorn squash in half. Scoop out all the seeds with a spoon.
- Take about 1/2 - 1 tbsp oil for each half and rub it over the squash (optional)
Air fry the squash for 20-25 minutes at 370 °F.
- After 20 minutes, mine was pretty much done.
- So for last 5 minutes I bumped the heat down to 320 °F so it wouldn’t burn
Prep the veggies
- Cut the bell peppers and onion into bite size pieces or smaller. The size is up to you
Make the sauce
- Brown the Italian sausage on the stovetop.
- Remove from pan. Wipe out the grease.
- Saute the bell peppers and onion
- Add the meat to the veggies.
- Pour in however much marianara sauce you like.
- Let simmer and warm while you prep the squash.
- Carefully remove from air fryer basket.
- Either enjoy the sauce straight on top of the acorn squash.
- Or scoop out inside with a fork and serve the sauce on top.
Keep up to date on our newest air fryer recipes!