Scalloped Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Air fryer scalloped potatoes is a great recipe and brings me back to my childhood. It was one of those dishes that my family made and enjoyed around the dinner table, creating great memories.
Even though this dish does take about an hour to make, it is actually a simple dish to put together and let the air fryer do its thing. So do not let the time scare you, this side dish is more than worth the wait.
Ingredients and Supplies Needed for Scalloped Potatoes in the Air Fryer:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Air fryer
- Small cake pan (or any other air fryer safe dish)
- Small mixing bowl
After testing out many different air fryers, I love using the Cosori 5.8QT air fryer. So, if you don’t already have an air fryer, make sure to check it out!
You will also need to use a deeper dish that will fit in your air fryer that is also air fryer safe. I tend to use a cake pan because it works well.
What Kind of Potatoes to Use
The answer to this question is more of a personal preference, I like to use russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
How Thin Should the Potatoes be Sliced to?
For this recipe, you can cut the potatoes as thin as ⅛ inch to ½ inch. However, just know that the thicker you cut the potatoes, the longer they will take to cook all the way through.
Spice it Up!
This is a very traditional recipe for scalloped potatoes, but it does not have to stay that way. A little spice can go a long way.
Try Adding One or More of These Spices:
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes in the Air Fryer:
Step 1: Prep the Potatoes
Start by washing and peeling the potatoes. Once they are clean cut the potatoes into slices. The thinner you cut the faster they will cook, and the thicker you cut them the longer they will take. I like my potatoes about ¼ an inch thick.
Step 2: Season the Pan
Take the cake pan or whatever pan you choose, and spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray. Then arrange the sliced potatoes in the bottom, fanning them out as you fill the pan.
After the potatoes are in the pan, spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 3: Cook the Potatoes
Place the cake pan in the air fryer basket and turn the air fryer on to 360F or 182C and cook the potatoes for 18 minutes.
Step 4: Make Up the Creamy Base
While the potatoes are cooking, mix together the heavy cream, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper together in a small mixing bowl.
Step 5: Add the Cream
After the potatoes are done cooking, open up the air fryer and pour the cream base into the pan and swirl it around to make sure all the potatoes have the sauce around them.
Step 6: Continue Cooking
Now, place the air fryer basket back into the air fryer and continue to cook the potatoes at 300F or 148C for about 15-18 more minutes or until the potatoes begin to soak up the cream and are tender and roasted to your liking.
Step 7: Final Touches
Once the potatoes are tender and roasted, open up the air fryer and sprinkle on the cheddar cheese and return it to the air fryer for another 2-3 minutes at 350F or 176C or until the cheese has melted.
Then just let the potatoes sit in the air fryer for 10 minutes to let them rest and then remove it from the air fryer, then serve it warm and enjoy!
What Else Can You Make in the Air Fryer?
There are so many dishes and desserts that you can make in the air fryer. Once you have one (if you don’t already) it will open up your culinary world!
Great Air Fryer Recipes to Make:
- Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Breakfast Egg Rolls
- Effortless Air Fryer Hamburgers in Minutes!
- Quick & Easy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Easy and Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Potatoes are always a delicious side dish, and this air fryer scalloped potatoes are definitely a crowd-pleaser. You don’t need to overcomplicate it to get a scrumptious side dish that is creamy and filled with good flavor. So make sure you give these perfectly tender and cheesy scalloped potatoes a try!
Breakfast Made Simple with the Air Fryer:
Air fryer tips and tricks
- Air Fryer 101
- Learn these common Air Fryer Mistakes!
- All about the Best and Worst Air Fryer Accessories
- How to Clean Your Air Fryer
- How to Cook Any Recipe in the Air Fryer
- FREE Download → Air Fryer Tips & Temps
- Air Fryer Buying Guide
- Watch Fabulessly Frugal YouTube Channel for Air Fryer Recipes
Scalloped Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Peel the potatoes
- Chop the potatoes into slices. You can make the slices as thin or thick as you like, it may affect the overall cooking time (depending on how tender and roasted you like your potatoes).
- Spray the cake barrel or whatever baking dish you are using with oil. Layer the potatoes inside the dish. I like to place the potato slices in the dish and then fan them out as there is room for them.
- Spray the tops with oil and then cook for 18 minutes at 360 °F.
- In a bowl mix together the heavy cream, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, they should be slightly roasted on the top. They should also begin to be tender.
- Pour the cream mixture into the dish and move the potatoes around to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Cook for an additional 15-18 minutes at 300 °F, or until the potatoes begin to soak up the cream, are tender, and roasted to your liking. (There should still be cream in the dish).
- Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese to your liking and cook for 2-3 more minutes at 350 °F, or until cheese is melted to your liking.
- Let the pan sit in the air fryer basket for 10 more minutes, after it is done cooking.
- Remove and enjoy!