Delicious and Easy Air Fryer Puff Pastry Danishes
Adorable and Delicious Air Fryer Puff Pastry Danishes
Usually when I think of a Danish, I think of the huge ones from Costco. Anyone else? After discovering this adorable small Danish recipe for my air fryer recipe, I knew I had to try it.
What is an air fryer?
If you are new to Fabulessly Frugal, let me introduce you to my favorite kitchen appliance: the air fryer. The number one reason I love my air fryer is that there are so many easy and wonderful recipes I am able to make in my air fryer. These air fryer Danishes are no exception!
Does Puff Pastry Work in the Air Fryer?
The best part of this puff pastry Danish recipe is, of course, the puff pastry. Instead of using a homemade pastry dough, we will be using a premade puff pastry dough. Puff pastries work great in the air fryer. You can make some pretty fun recipes like today’s air fryer Danish recipe or these fun air fryer pigs in a blanket. Puff pastry recipes in the air fryer make great finger foods for a Super Bowl party, a Valentine’s Day sweet treat, or a tasty Christmas morning breakfast.
For this recipe, I used 1 package (17.3 oz) frozen puff pastry. You will want to make sure that it is thawed. This will make the assembly process a lot easier. And, it will cook better in the air fryer too. Once thawed, cut the pastry into about 9 equal squares.
What is the Filling in a Danish?
Usually Danishes are topped with a fruit or cream cheese filling. There are many different types of Danish filling options. There are the tasty Starbucks Cheese Danishes, a homey cherry pie filling, apple, blueberry, lemon, etc. The options are really endless with Danishes. The recipe I am sharing today is actually a jam and cream cheese based filling. I love to use raspberry jam, but feel free to experiment with any of your favorite jam flavors.
To make the cream cheese filling, you will need:
- 1, 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- at least 2/3 cup of your favorite jam
- 1 egg wash (1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp water)
You could even try making a Starbucks copycat cheese Danish by not adding any jelly.
How to Make Perfect Puff Pastry Danishes in the Air Fryer?
This air fryer recipe is perfect because it is so fast and tastes amazing. To make this simple Danish recipe, first cut the pastry into 9 squares. Next, top each pastry with a spoonful (about 1 tablespoon) of the cream cheese mixture and 1 rounded teaspoon of jam. Then, take one corner of the pastry and bring it to the middle. Brush a little bit of the egg wash on the corner, and seal it with the opposite corner of the pastry. Brush some more egg wash on top of the pastry. I love to use this baster brush when I have an egg wash.
How Long Does Puff Pastry Danishes Take to Cook in the Air Fryer?
Did you think assembling the Danishes were easy, wait until you start cooking them in the air fryer! Lightly spray the air fryer basket with avocado oil. I love to use this Mistifi oil sprayer. Place the pastries inside, making sure they do not overlap. Cook the Danishes for 8 minutes at 320°F/160°C, or until they are beautiful and golden. You do not need to flip this recipe!
I hope you fall in love with these pastries like my family has! They are delicate, soft, creamy, and so easy to make! No need to turn on the oven to have delicious, homemade Danishes! We love to enjoy this one as a sweet finger food at our Super Bowl party. When will you be eating these puff pastry Danishes? Share with us in the comments below!
My favorite air fryer treats:
- The Best Air Fryer Molten Lava Cake
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Air Fryer Donuts + Donut Holes with a Sweet Glaze (Video)
Helpful Air Fryer tips:
- What to Consider When Buying an Air Fryer PLUS The 5 Best Air Fryers
- The Top 12 Air Fryer Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
- How to Use an Air Fryer: Everything You Need to Know
Simple and Delicious Air Fryer Puff Pastry Danishes
- 1 package 8 oz cream cheese, softened room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed (17.3 oz)
- ⅔ cup seedless raspberry jam or jam of choice
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in 1 egg yolk.
- On a lightly floured or smooth surface, unfold each sheet of puff pastry and cut each into nine squares
- Next make the egg wash by mixing together 1 tbsp water and 1 egg yolk.
- Top each pastry square in the center with a spoonful (about 1 tbsp) of cream cheese mixture & 1 rounded teaspoon jam.
- Bring the two opposite corner of pastry over filling, sealing with yolk mixture.
- Brush tops with remaining yolk mixture.
- In batches, place the Danishes in a single layer on lightly greased tray in air fryer basket
- Cook until golden brown, 8-10 minutes at 320˚F/160˚C, no need to flip
- Serve warm & refrigerate leftovers.
Recipe Adapted From: Taste of Home