Quick & Easy Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast)
This easy flatbread recipe is yeast-free, quick to make, and super versatile too. With so many different ways to use and make these flatbreads, this is a recipe you’ll come back to again and again.
How to Make Flatbread Without Yeast (The Easy Way!)
I love how simple and quick it is to make this flatbread recipe (some also call it pan bread)! There aren’t a lot of ingredients to worry about, and you can cook it either on a cast-iron skillet or griddle.
I’ll share some tips below to make everything easier, and I’ll also share some of my favorite toppings and serving ideas as well. Let’s get into it!
Only five pantry staples needed to get hot, fresh bread on the table in less than an hour! Flour, baking powder, salt, oil (vegetable oil, olive oil, or avocado oil all work well in the recipe), and water. No sugar or yeast needed. No oven needed.
It’s easy to make this flatbread recipe with organic ingredients if that’s how you roll too.
Mixing the dough:
I like to start mixing with a spoon, but then start using my hands toward the end to really get the dough mixed together. I often have to add just a little more flour to keep the dough from being too sticky.
Splitting the dough:
The number of flatbreads this recipe yields will depend on how you split the dough. Feel free to make them bigger or smaller.
Rolling the dough:
Just as you can make your flatbreads bigger or smaller, you can also choose how thick or thin you make them, but note that cooking time may vary accordingly.
Flatbread cooking tips & variations:
Cook your flatbread on a griddle or in a skillet. Whatever works! It is really easy cooking several at the same time on a griddle, kinda like pancakes. 😉
As I mentioned above, this recipe is super versatile. Experiment with different thicknesses, sizes, and cooking methods. Here are some ideas:
- If you fry the bread in a little more oil and roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness, you’re looking at bread more like a scone or fry bread; or
- You can roll them out even thinner and use the flatbread as more like a wrap or gyro.
If you have other methods or tips, share them in the comments below!
What’s Your Favorite Way to Use Flatbread?
There are a lot of different ways to enjoy flatbread. For one, this easy flatbread recipe makes for a quick bread replacement.
It’s also great dipped in sauce, soups, curry, or oil and vinegar. For example, try this delicious spinach artichoke dip.
Another idea? Top the flatbreads with any of your favorite toppings. Make them into individual pizzas, then place them on a baking sheet and into the oven briefly at 350° F to melt the cheese. Easy!
Flatbread Topping ideas:
- Pizza sauce, cheese, toppings
- Butter and honey (or honey butter) 😉
- Butter, cinnamon and sugar
- Pesto, spinach, parmesan, mozzarella, feta
- Broccoli and cheddar
- Spinach and mushrooms
- Bacon, lettuce, tomato (BLT)
- Tomato, mozzarella, balsamic, basil
- Scrambled eggs, tomato, spinach, cheese
- Taco toppings (try this homemade taco seasoning recipe)
- Sloppy joe
- Shredded chicken (similar to our homemade bbq chicken pizza, you can do a shredded chicken topping with homemade BBQ sauce)
- Alfredo sauce, cheese, chicken, and bacon
- Pulled pork
- Rosemary and sea salt
- Cream cheese spread
If you need a quick bread recipe that uses common pantry ingredients, this easy flatbread is the answer. It’s a great camping recipe as well!
I love how many different ways there are to use it too. It can be paired with all sorts of different dinners, or eaten on its own with topping and dips. It’s pretty perfect!
By the way, flatbread freezes well too! Feel free to make extra if you want to store some for later.
How do you enjoy your flatbread? Is this going to become your go-to flatbread recipe? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
More Bread Recipes:
- The Best Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
- No-Knead Bread (5 Loaves in 2 hours!)
- Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread
- Healthier Banana Bread with Coconut Oil and Honey
- Easy Cake Mix Banana Bread Recipe
- Easy Lemon Blueberry Quick Bread
Quick & Easy Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the oil and cold water, and mix to make dough. The dough should be a little wet and tacky, but not sticking to your fingers. Add more flour or water as needed. Cover with plastic wrap, let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat skillet or griddle. (I heat my griddle to 400° F.) Brush or spray skillet or griddle surface with oil.
- Divide dough into 10 equal pieces. Dredge each piece in flour, then roll or flatten to about 1/8 inch thick.
- In batches, cook the flatbread for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush or spray the uncooked side of the flatbread with oil, then flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly before serving.
Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour