Peaches ‘n Cream Strudel
Pack’n in the peaches?
My husband walked in the door with a big box of ripe, juicy, peaches this week. Our home has smelled absolutely divine. I had to arm wrestle him for enough peaches to make some strudel. After I pulled Peaches ‘n Cream Strudel out of the oven and he took a bite, he offered to share a few more. It’s a snap to whip up with purchased puff pastry and much easier to make than it looks.
Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Whip the cream cheese with 1/4 cup brown sugar. To chopped peaches, add brown sugar, flour, nuts and vanilla. Stir and set aside
Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14×2″ rectangle. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the pastry dough. Spread the peach mixture 1-inch from the edge of the dough. Begin rolling the dough over the filling and then pinch the ends together and tuck under.
Carefully place on a parchment lined baking sheet pan. Brush with egg wash and slash top with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with coarse sparkling sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
Thanks for stopping by. I’d love your ideas. How are you using bushels of peaches at your place?
Peaches ‘n Cream Strudel
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 4 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 of a 17.3 ounce package puff pastry, 1 sheet, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons of course sugar or granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- Whip cream cheese with half of the brown sugar.
- Stir the peaches, remaining brown sugar, (1/4 cup), flour pecans and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the pastry sheet into a 14x2" rectangle.
- Whip the balance of the brown sugar with cream cheese and spread on pastry.
- Spoon the peach mixture 1-inch from the edge of the pastry.
- Carefully roll the dough over the filling and roll up, pinching the ends of the dough together and gently tucking underneath the pastry roll.
- Place the pastry onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut slits 1-inch apart on the top of the pastry.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pasty is golden brown.
- Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes.