Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
We’ve released a lot of great soup recipes over the years, but this instant pot chicken gnocchi soup recipe might be a new favorite! It has AMAZING flavor and it’s packed with healthy vegetables and delicious chicken in each bite.
Also, while a lot of other instant pot gnocchi soup recipes can get a bit complicated, we made sure to keep things as simple as possible here. The recipe itself is easy to follow, and the ingredients are ones you might already have on hand.
How to Make Instant Pot Gnocchi Soup!
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is an Italian pasta made of potatoes, flour, and eggs. Because of the texture of the pasta and the evenly spaced ridges, gnocchi is often served with thick creamy sauces and eaten with a fork.
It’s small size also makes it perfect for soup, as one gnocchi fits easily on a spoon. That’s why you might actually enjoy this chicken gnocchi soup over a more traditional chicken noodle soup!
Ingredients for Gnocchi Soup
This recipe is a classic Italian version and we are going to use simple ingredients. To make this recipe, you will need olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, flour, chicken broth, chicken breasts, gnocchi, cream, spinach, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Gnocchi Soup in the Instant Pot
Making this recipe in the instant pot is very simple. Start by setting your pressure cooker to saute.
Heat the oil and add the onion, carrots, and celery:
Cook them for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for one additional minute.
Next, add the flour.
Stir it around constantly for 1-2 minutes and then add the chicken broth, being sure to thoroughly stir the flour so that it is completely dissolved in the broth.
Next, add the chicken into the broth:
Seal the lid and make sure the valve is set to the “sealing” position. Cook on high manual pressure for 15 minutes.
Remove the chicken and shred with two forks:
Using two forks to shred the chicken is the best method for this soup as it gives you the most control over the size of the shredded pieces. That being said, there are other ways to shred chicken, and I typically use my mixer as it’s the quickest method!
Set aside shredded chicken and add the gnocchi to the pan:
Cook the gnocchi on “Saute” or until it begins to float.
Once the gnocchi is cooked, add the chicken back into the pan along with the spinach, milk, salt, and pepper:
At this point, your instant pot chicken gnocchi soup is nearly ready to serve! Turn the instant pot off, let everything cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Other Ways to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
If you want to slow cook your chicken gnocchi soup or simply cook it over the stovetop, no problem! Both ways work great.
In the Slow Cooker:
Here’s how to make gnocchi soup in the slow cooker:
- Start by sauteing the carrots, onions, and celery over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Place the vegetables, broth, and chicken breasts in the slow cooker and set the temperature to low. Cook for four hours, then remove the chicken and shred it with two forks.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker with the gnocchi, cream, spinach salt, and pepper and cook for one more hour. Your gnocchi soup will be ready in 5 hours!
On the Stovetop:
Gnocchi soup is very easy to make on the stovetop as well.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. When the vegetables are tender, add the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Next, add the chicken broth and chicken. Cover the pan, lower the temperature a bit and cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and shred it with a fork.
- Add the chicken back into the pan with the gnocchi, milk, spinach, salt, and pepper. Simmer until the spinach is wilted then remove from heat and serve.
Storing Gnocchi Soup
This soup will keep for three days if properly stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It also freezes well for up to a month.
Note: You may need to add a little extra chicken broth or cream when reheating your gnocchi soup because it does thicken as it sits.
I love a good soup, especially one that’s loaded with nutrients! This chicken gnocchi soup really ticks all the boxes for me AND it’s one I can enjoy all year round. You might be more tempted to make it in the Fall or Winter time when it starts getting a bit more chilly outside, but I really enjoy this soup during the summer as well!
Let us know what you think of this recipe once you try it! Be sure to come back and leave a review!
More Soup Recipes:
- Healthy White Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- Easy Crock-Pot Vegetable Soup
- Green Keto Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup
- Zupas Copycat Yucatan Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb potato Gnocchi
- 1 ½ cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in an instant pot on Saute setting.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for two minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour the chicken broth in and stir to dissolve flour mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts in the broth. Replace cover and lock lid into place, move the pressure valve to sealing position.
- Cook on manual pressure cook (high) for 15 minutes. Release pressure by moving the valve to “vent” when the timer goes off.
- Remove the chicken from the instant pot and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Add the gnocchi to the broth and vegetables and set the pressure cooker on “Saute”. Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions, or until it starts to float.
- Place the chicken back into the instant pot and add the milk, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Turn off the instant pot and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.